Magellan Triton 500

I purchased the Triton 200 last month - the $$ was about what I was looking to spend and I liked the features. Yesterday it locked up on me - everytime it connects to satellite it locks up. I deleted the memory, reset to factory settings, no change. So I am taking it back and exchanging for a Garmin. I really liked my Triton 200, but am frustrated that it only lasted a month before I started having issues. I am limited to what Wal-Mart sells for now (extreneous circumstances), so I'm going to spend $70 more to upgrade. (right now $200 is the max I want to spend) I looked at the Triton 500 as well, but am afraid to replace with another Magellan - unless enough people chime in with "I love mine and would never get anything else".... :huh:

:huh: Magellan Triton 500 Any one have any experience with this new GPS? I am looking to upgrade and this looks promising. Thanks in advance

What are you planning to upgrade from???

I own the Triton 500 & other GPS units including Garmins and explorist.

If you are going to use the Triton only for geocaching, it works well for that. For anything else, the unit simply is inferior to the Garmins in every almost every measurable way besides geocaching.

Would I buy another Triton 500? No I wouldn't.

:huh: Magellan Triton 500 Any one have any experience with this new GPS? I am looking to upgrade and this looks promising. Thanks in advance

Magellan makes excellent hardware, I got a new triton500 in exchange for a e600 that I sent out for warranty repair and so far I am satisfied with it. It does everything I want. Maybe I had low expectations from all the bad reports I heard of it and that might be why I like it. The only reason I would not buy or recommend a Magellan product is because of the REALLY REALLY bad customer service and their lack of product support in terms of timely firmware releases. If they fix all the bugs of this unit as they promise to do then the triton500 will be a very good GPS.

If they fix all the bugs of this unit as they promise to do then the triton500 will be a very good GPS.

That's the big if..... The unit has been out for a while now & while some bugs have been fixed, huge ones haven't. Like no WAAS in the Triton 200-500, odometer that doesn't work, yellow track that disappears randomly at times , unit defaults to 300 foot view when turned off, trip odometer automatically goes back to zero when turned off, can't load waypoints and geocaches from the SD card, unit won't communicate with 3rd party software like GSAK, No US road mapping software currently on sale by Magellan, takes a long time to snych up & upload more than a few dozen geocaches, **and the worst battery life by a huge mile of any GPS... even Magellan admits you should only get around 5 hours on a pair of batteries.**

Good unit for geocaching, horrible unit for anything else.

Sorry to vent but after months of being out on the market now, there's no more excuses for Magellan.....