Colorado 400t able to read 16GB SD card

raxxal

FWIW, I just bought an 8GB Class 6 Patriot SDHC card and had similar experiences.

I put it in my Colorado 400t and hooked it to my PC using the USB cable and tried to copy some files (JPEG photos) over to the SD card inside it and had all sorts of trouble with the card mounting and unmounting and the copy being unsuccessful.

I then copied some data to the card using a standalone USB media card reader/writer (a few photos at the start, then some huge files to take up space, then a few more photos at the end of the card) filling all but 5MB out of the nearly 8GB of room on the card and the Garmin was able to see all of the photos, including the ones at the start and the ones I copied at the end of it.

One odd thing, though, was that the first time I hooked the card to my computer via the media card reader it would not write to the card, claiming that it was write protected. I pulled the card out, checked its protect tab and it was not protected. Just in case, I flipped the switch back and forth and remounted it and now I could copy data to it just fine.

So I checked writing to it with my Garmin on the USB cable again and this time I was successful with some small files, but the data write speeds were very slow. Deleting a bunch of the files on the card via the Garmin USB was also slow. I then tried to copy 11MB of some large JPEGs onto the card and ran into the card mounting and unmounting on me again. All in all, I would never trust using the Garmin in Mass Storage Mode to maintain this card, but it does appear to read data from it just fine all the way out to the 8GB limit...