Garmin eTrex problem

Hi, I have a problem that is really inhibiting my ability to cache. My GPSr is an original Garmin eTrex from 2003. Anyone who has one will be very familiar with my problem. When I manually put in a waypoint, I have to enter both elevation and coordiantes. The elevation, of course, is not included in the cache's location. This is the problem. The elevation is incorrect when I enter the coordinates correctly. This throws my GPS off, because I have an incorrect elevation for the cache site. My GPS tells me to go 15 feet forward, then 30 feet back, then 12 feet left, etc.. Trying to find the right elevation. Needless to say, this pretty much stops me from caching effectively. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

The elevation isn't needed and doesn't have anything to do with it. Just enter zero.

Be aware that the GPS unit may not get you EXACTLY to the cache location due to a variety of factors. You should expect to get within about 40 or 50 feet and then start looking around with your "spidey sense".

The eTrex doesn't have a high sensitivity receiver so it might have issues under heavy cover, around tall buildings, etc or anywhere that the signal might be blocked.

Once you get to the area of the cache, just put the eTrex in your pocket and start looking around.

Hi, I have a problem that is really inhibiting my ability to cache. My GPSr is an original Garmin eTrex from 2003. Anyone who has one will be very familiar with my problem. When I manually put in a waypoint, I have to enter both elevation and coordiantes.

I would say it's not a problem, not inhibiting your ability to cache, you don't have to enter an elevation when you enter coords, and it is not a concern that is very familiar with most cachers. Other than that you're right on the money. :-)

Counting on a non-sensor GPSr for accurate Elevation information (DEM notwithstanding) is an exercise in futility.

Ignore the ELE and have fun caching. If you are using your GPS within 30' or 12' anyhow then you're probably not using your caching spidey sense. Ignore the GPS within 50' and you will likely be happier.