GPS question/s

jleing

I'm looking at the Garmin Vista HCx and looking at the garmin web site it says that this model does not have built in memory but accepts data cards which are not included in the price. What is this memory used for and why would I need to purchase a data card? I will be using the unit for geocaching and general hiking and camping purposes. Additionally I will most likely purchase topo. Will this program require the use of a data card?

Are there any other hidden fees that I will probably incur while setting up my gps unit making it ready for what I require?

Does a GPS unit automatically display the grid coordinates of the particular location it is being used in? Or is this something that needs to be downloaded or set up in a menu?

My buddy has a bushness onix 200 cr and when attempting to aquire a position it gives it in longitude and latitude. Is there a way to convert this to grid coordinates?

These may all be stupid questions as I am new and have no experience with a gps unit. I'm a map and compass guy. I appreciate all the advice and comments in advance.

Most likely there will be more questions to follow...

What is this memory used for and why would I need to purchase a data card? I will be using the unit for geocaching and general hiking and camping purposes. Additionally I will most likely purchase topo. Will this program require the use of a data card?

The microSD card is used to store maps, POIs and can also be used to store daily track logs (although these can't be access by the GPS, only by your computer).

Are there any other hidden fees that I will probably incur while setting up my gps unit making it ready for what I require?

Nope. Unless you want to buy other accessories, such as a case, holster, mount, etc. But these aren't "hidden" fees.

Does a GPS unit automatically display the grid coordinates of the particular location it is being used in? Or is this something that needs to be downloaded or set up in a menu?

Not sure what you mean. It shows your position on a map, but also can display your lat/long or other coordintate.

My buddy has a bushness onix 200 cr and when attempting to aquire a position it gives it in longitude and latitude. Is there a way to convert this to grid coordinates?

It depends...what kind of "grid coordinates"? I know it will use MGRS and I believe it will use UTM and there may be others.

Edited by dogwalkers2

I'm looking at the Garmin Vista HCx and looking at the garmin web site it says that this model does not have built in memory but accepts data cards which are not included in the price. What is this memory used for and why would I need to purchase a data card? I will be using the unit for geocaching and general hiking and camping purposes. Additionally I will most likely purchase topo. Will this program require the use of a data card?

Most likely there will be more questions to follow...

As DW pointed out, maps go on the card. This means Topo will go on the card. Data cards are exceptionally cheap for 1 or 2GB sizes.

I've collected some FAQ that may or may not help, and also a rant on picking one's first GPS.