Multiple finds on same cache

doingitoldschool

It would be nice if we could quit dwelling on whether or not people are bothered and just discuss the issue. If you don't want to talk about it then nobody is forcing you to talk about it. :D

Ummm, the threads topic or 'issue' is whether TPTB should program out the ability to multilog. Therefore, determining whether those who don't multilog are affected by the practice is the very issue.

The flip side is how would people be effected "if" they couldn't do it. There are two sides to every coin. :D

Clearly, those people who enjoy the practice would no longer be able to do it, so they would be negatively affected.

It would be nice if we could quit dwelling on whether or not people are bothered and just discuss the issue. If you don't want to talk about it then nobody is forcing you to talk about it. :D

Ummm, the threads topic or 'issue' is whether TPTB should program out the ability to multilog. Therefore, determining whether those who don't multilog are affected by the practice is the very issue.

The flip side is how would people be effected "if" they couldn't do it. There are two sides to every coin. :D

Clearly, those people who enjoy the practice would no longer be able to do it, so they would be negatively affected.
Only if there were some measurable enjoyment (Cache - zero = cache). Nobody has explained what is so enjoyable about these. This is what I'm trying to understand.

Only if there were some measurable enjoyment (Cache - zero = cache). Nobody has explained what is so enjoyable about these. This is what I'm trying to understand.

I have no doubt that no one will ever convince you that they could possibly get any enjoyment out of doing anything that you don't like.

I have no doubt that no one will ever convince you that they could possibly get any enjoyment out of doing anything that you don't like.

I'm not sure that someone getting enjoyment out of something makes it an "OK" thing to do, or automatically makes it acceptable and within the rules and guidelines. I can think of quite a few things that would be "fun" but would probably get my account banninated for life.

Edit: Not saying that multi-logging finds is specifically against any guidelines or that anyone should be banned for doing it. Just making the point that just because people have fun doing it doesn't automatically make it "Acceptable"

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I'm not sure that someone getting enjoyment out of something makes it an "OK" thing to do, or automatically makes it acceptable and within the rules and guidelines. I can think of quite a few things that would be "fun" but would probably get my account banninated for life.

That is absolutely correct and something that was addressed in the thread that I referenced earlier.

It should also be recognized that just because some people don't like something doesn't automatically make it unacceptable or against the guidelines.

That's not a fair statement. Again you are judging me. Nobody has even tried to explain what enjoyment they get out of sitting in front of their computer logging a dozen or more extra logs....
That's not a fair statement. Again you are judging me. Nobody has even tried to explain what enjoyment they get out of sitting in front of their computer logging a dozen or more extra logs....
I think that you're either basing your argument on a false premise (that other people's enjoyment is less worthy than yours) or you are laying a poorly designed trap (because you will never accept that their enjoyment is valid).

(BTW, I gave one reason for the extra enjoyment already.)

Edited by sbell111
It would be nice if we could quit dwelling on whether or not people are bothered and just discuss the issue. If you don't want to talk about it then nobody is forcing you to talk about it. :blink:
The flip side is how would people be effected "if" they couldn't do it. There are two sides to every coin. :ph34r:
I think that you're either basing your argument on a false premise (that other people's enjoyment is less worthy than yours) or you are laying a poorly designed trap (because you will never accept that their enjoyment is valid).
Again you are judging me. It's a very simple question. Edited by TrailGators

If anyone cares to check my it's not about the numbers you'll see I have I think 4 double logs.

These were logs from the early days of caching, when it was legal to move caches. 2 of the caches were moved about 1/4 of a mile from the original site, another one was moved about a mile, the 4th one was moved about 10 miles same GC numbers but for all intents new caches.

It was a lot simpler in the earlier days :blink::ph34r:

It would be nice if we could quit dwelling on whether or not people are bothered and just discuss the issue. If you don't want to talk about it then nobody is forcing you to talk about it. :blink:
The flip side is how would people be effected "if" they couldn't do it. There are two sides to every coin. :ph34r:

(BTW, I gave one reason for the extra enjoyment already.)

Again you are judging me. It's a very simple question.

It's also a question that's been answered, even though it is a meaningless metric. Edited by sbell111
Again you are judging me. It's a very simple question.
It's also a question that's been answered, even though it is a meaningless metric.
Hockeyhick said it was for the numbers: "My cache: GC13TWP was created to give those who care more about a number a chance to earn them.... " Are we close to reaching a consensus for this being the top reason? Edited by TrailGators
If anyone cares to check my it's not about the numbers you'll see I have I think 4 double logs.

These were logs from the early days of caching, when it was legal to move caches. 2 of the caches were moved about 1/4 of a mile from the original site, another one was moved about a mile, the 4th one was moved about 10 miles same GC numbers but for all intents new caches.

They decided that people looking all over for a cache that wasn't really there because someone took it was not a good idea. I've found a couple of grandfathered traveling caches myself. Edited by TrailGators

Hockeyhick said it was for the numbers: "My cache: GC13TWP was created to give those who care more about a number a chance to earn them.... " Are we close to reaching a consensus for this being the top reason?

I don't buy that reason. I think I mentioned earlier. We are conditioned from an early age to accept just a bit of praise as reward. Many people learned as children to do chores around the house not to earn an allowance but just to get a thank you from their parents. When they were in kindergarten, they learned to do what the teacher told them in order to get a gold star next to their name. I think we are conditioned this way. Hockeyhick gives an extra smiley if you post a picture doing the chicken dance because that extra acknowledgement is enough to entice some people to do it. I don't think most people are sitting around looking for caches that give 12 bonus smileys to do it instead of going to find 12 caches. Miragee's cache has been around for over a month and no one has found it yet. Of course in this case you have to go out and visit the 12 extra locations so that may have something to do with it. Not everyone sees the smiley as even indicative of praise. That is why we conscientiously log all our DNFs. Just as a find is not a reward a DNF is not a punishment. But not everybody sees it that way.

They decided that people looking all over for a cache that wasn't really there because someone took it was not a good idea. I've found a couple of grandfathered traveling caches myself.

I think he means that in the past when you could change coordinates by more than .1 miles without getting a reviewer involved, some people would move their caches a significant distance if they was a problem keeping it in the original location. They changed this and now allow only minor adjustments and record the change in a log because people used to move caches to locations where they wouldn't have been approved in the first place - for example within .1 mile of another cache. In the old days it was quite common for caches to be moved to where they were essentially new caches.

Hockeyhick said it was for the numbers: "My cache: GC13TWP was created to give those who care more about a number a chance to earn them.... " Are we close to reaching a consensus for this being the top reason?

I don't buy that reason. I think I mentioned earlier. We are conditioned from an early age to accept just a bit of praise as reward. Many people learned as children to do chores around the house not to earn an allowance but just to get a thank you from their parents. When they were in kindergarten, they learned to do what the teacher told them in order to get a gold star next to their name. I think we are conditioned this way. Hockeyhick gives an extra smiley if you post a picture doing the chicken dance because that extra acknowledgement is enough to entice some people to do it. I don't think most people are sitting around looking for caches that give 12 bonus smileys to do it instead of going to find 12 caches. Miragee's cache has been around for over a month and no one has found it yet. Of course in this case you have to go out and visit the 12 extra locations so that may have something to do with it. Not everyone sees the smiley as even indicative of praise. That is why we conscientiously log all our DNFs. Just as a find is not a reward a DNF is not a punishment. But not everybody sees it that way.

They decided that people looking all over for a cache that wasn't really there because someone took it was not a good idea. I've found a couple of grandfathered traveling caches myself.

I think he means that in the past when you could change coordinates by more than .1 miles without getting a reviewer involved, some people would move their caches a significant distance if they was a problem keeping it in the original location. They changed this and now allow only minor adjustments and record the change in a log because people used to move caches to locations where they wouldn't have been approved in the first place - for example within .1 mile of another cache. In the old days it was quite common for caches to be moved to where they were essentially new caches.
I remember 5.5 years ago. Those caches were pretty rare. Once they were out of my PQ I never had any reason to go find them again.

It was a lot simpler in the earlier days :ph34r::lol:

I remember 5.5 years ago. Those caches were pretty rare. Once they were out of my PQ I never had any reason to go find them again.

Early days 2001 :blink: yes Mr. T is correct

Edited by vagabond