How to make the Garmin Venture HC Alert me to a cache

The owners manual isn't all that geocacher friendly. Does anyone know if there is a way to make the Venture alert (beep) when I am driving by a cache?

Right now it will beep when I tell it to "go to" a cache that I have loaded. But I would love it if it would beep when I went by ANY cache that I have loaded.

Is that possible?

Jenn

The owners manual isn't all that geocacher friendly. Does anyone know if there is a way to make the Venture alert (beep) when I am driving by a cache?

Right now it will beep when I tell it to "go to" a cache that I have loaded. But I would love it if it would beep when I went by ANY cache that I have loaded.

Is that possible?

Jenn

Looking at the features on the Venture HC, You should be able to upload some Caches as custom POI's that will allow you to utilize the proximity alert. Use the Garmin POI loader. Then when you set up the distance number you will be alerted to it's proximity (might get kind of busy if you have a lot of Caches in one area), Thats one way. I think you can also, set up each cache/waypoint on the Venture so that it will alert you, when you are a specified distance (you specify) from the waypoint, buy using the Venture on-board controls. Using the POI loader is just convenient and allows you to do 10, 20, 30 ,40 etc at one time.

Edited by texbaz

Is that possible?

Jenn

Looking at the features on the Venture HC, You should be able to upload some Caches as custom POI's that will allow you to utilize the proximity alert. Use the Garmin POI loader. Then when you set up the distance number you will be alerted to it's proximity (might get kind of busy if you have a lot of Caches in one area), Thats one way. I think you can also, set up each cache/waypoint on the Venture so that it will alert you, when you are a specified distance (you specify) from the waypoint, buy using the Venture on-board controls. Using the POI loader is just convenient and allows you to do 10, 20, 30 ,40 etc at one time.

While the user's manual suggests that you SHOULD be able to use POIs on the Venture HC and Summit HC, a number of users have not been able to get it work on these two units - see this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=186253&hl=