Dropped 400t - got strange display (just once)

Saturday I was out caching and my 400t took a tumble from the seat of a park bench onto the concrete below (about 20 inches). It powered off at impact. I crossed my fingers and it powered up ok but something funny happened. I selected the geocache I was currently at from the list so I could make the log entry. When the cache was displayed I got a highlighted region containing a single line with the name of the cache. No difficulty or terrain stars or anything. Below it, where the red arrow and distance to cache are normally found, was a highlighted region with a small compass (maybe 5/8" diameter) and distance to the cache. The compass had an arrow across it like the full screen compass page. Everything appeared to be functioning correctly except for this.

I powered the unit down and, upon restart, the former screens were there like they should be. The cosmetic damage was limited to a small region of the rubbery coating on the wheel that peeled off and a slight scrape on the metallic coated housing on the back near the case screw counterbore. I had installed a screen protector from OneStopCacheShop and it worked as it should.

There's stuff lurking in the Colo. that the Garmin folks are not telling us about. I have not seen any documented screen details that looked like this. Maybe it's something in a different profile from the one I customized...

I'm going to start using a lanyard attached to a belt loop to prevent this in the future. I'll deal with it snagging on stuff...

Anyone have a similar experience?