Yet another noob searching for a GPSr

OK, I'm looking for a GPSr to try Geocaching out, as well as cross country navigation. I've had them before, and am familiar with navigating with them. Its been a few years since I've owned a pure GPS unit, instead of a sat-nav, so i've been reading the forums. I've decided what features I think will be important.

OK so I dont need a unit with maps installed, cross country a physical paper map will always be my preference. (I'm in the military, so I have no fear of a proper map)

I need it to be able to work in OSGB36 co-ordinates, plus a selection of common world-wide mapping formats (UTM, WGS84, etc).

Although not essential, I'd like to be able to hook up to my computer to pre-set co-ordinates at home where possible, however a serial port is not an option, it will have to be USB. I can live without this for a good price on the GPSr

A good chipset will be usefull, like sirf star III, so I can navigate in woods/forests.

Long battery life would be nice, and are there any units I can stick NiMh AA batteries in, and charge them up while inside the machine, so I could use a car charger, or mains charger to keep it topped up, or in event fo flat batteries, I can stick some normal alkaline batteries in (hope this part makes as much sense as it does in my head! :huh: )

Backlit Screen would be nice.

Finaly mounts available, so it can be used on a bicycle, car windscreen etc would be handy

Edited by EvilTwin1974

I have actually found my old GPSr, and its manual. Its a Magellan Blazer12, after some fresh batteries I finally managed to get it to power up, but I've found that what was good for a 5 year old unit, isn't as good as I need for today. After setting it up, it took 3-4 mins to find the first sat, then another 3-4 mins to find a second, the third another 2 mins, then a lot better to find 4 and 5, eventually it locked into my position. Quite a long time to find sats I'm sure you'll agree.

The almanac must have been updated internally on this first power up, as second and subsequent trys to turn on, and find sats takes about 5 mins, which again I feel is a bit too slow, and a new GPSr will probably be a lot quicker.

For the moment though, I'll use my blazer12 to give caching a try.

Having had a look at several online purveyors of GPSr's all sell the Garmin Etrex HC, which seems to offer something along the lines of what I need. (and cheap)

Is this any good for a basic GPSr mainly for cross country nav, but also to get going with some first trys at finding caches?

Does the 'improved high sensitivity' antenna work ok in forests / urban canyons etc?

Hi there,

Do you have a budget in mind for what your willing to spend? There is a wide range of options at all different price levels? Since you're looking for auto-nav and geocaching functionality, a handheld is in order.

Personally I would avoid anything Magellan and would recommend Garmin for their superior customer support. As for a model, that's tough to answer without knowing how much you would like to spend. Initially I would recommend the the Garmin Legend HCx or Garmin 60Cx. If you feel you need the added electronic compass and altimeter then go for for the VistaCX or 60CSx.

Hope that helps.

Edited by moonpup