Magellan and Linux - Read only drive

I have a explorist 210 that for almost a year now I've been trying to get to work with Linux (Linux Mint to be exact however the same issue shows up in every distro of linux that i have tried). Connecting the unit to the computer with the USB cable seems to work fine and I get a file explorer window open up as normal when I go into file transfer mode. it shows the file structure and all the file contained within just fine however it sees it as a read only drive and I cannot transfer anything into it. Doing the exact same process in Windows Xp it works fine and the unit is seen as a read/write drive. A friend who also has a 210 and is using linux does not have the same problem which would make me think that it is my unit. However I just bought a eXplorist 400 and it is doing the exact same thing. Same with the SD card, once it creates the file structure on the card even if I take it out of the unit and access it from my card reader it shows up as read only. Anyone have any ideas at all here?

Could be a file permissions thing. Try connecting to the drive through a terminal window and type ls -al to view the directory with all the permissions, etc... You can see the name of the file 'owner' and view the access privileges of the owner, group and all users.

Looking at the permissions for all of the drives in MEDIA:

bill@bill-desktop:/media$ ls -l

total 88

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2008-01-16 12:43 cdrom -> cdrom0

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-01-16 12:43 cdrom0

drwx------ 11 bill root 32768 1969-12-31 19:00 DATA BACKUP

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 2008-01-16 12:43 floppy -> floppy0

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-01-16 12:43 floppy0

drwx------ 9 bill root 8192 1969-12-31 19:00 GPSR

drwx------ 3 bill root 16384 1969-12-31 19:00 WIKI

The DATA BACKUP and WIKI drives have the exact same settings but they both work fine.

Some memory cards have a write-protect switch on them -- does yours?

Are you logged in as the same user and using the same utility to access the WIKI, DATA BACKUP and GPSR media?

Might try changing the permissions for the device to read and write for all users and see what happens.