Bushnell GPS

Pikpik

We are new at geocaching and got through e-bay a Bushnell GPS. It was maybe not the best buy. Can someone help us understand how it works and especially how to download waypoints into it. It doesn't look very user freindly but it is maybe just our unexperience. We have never used a GPS before. Thank you.

We are new at geocaching and got through e-bay a Bushnell GPS. It was maybe not the best buy. Can someone help us understand how it works and especially how to download waypoints into it. It doesn't look very user freindly but it is maybe just our unexperience. We have never used a GPS before. Thank you.

Did you not get a manual with the unit? Go here to get an electronic version of the quick start guide. It would help if you mentioned which model you have. It appears they have 6 different models currently available.

Unless they've changed things, there is no way to import data from other sources other than manual entry.

I don't know how they think they are operating in a vacuum. So many sources of data someone might want to use. That, the poor sunlight visibility & being unusable with polarized glasses were deal killers for my applications.

Any maps you want on the unit have to be downloaded from Bushnell.

They were charging a dollar/unit. Units varied in size from 3Mi and smaller.

smaller units gave more detail. (per talking with them on phone.)

Did you not get a manual with the unit? Go here to get an electronic version of the quick start guide. It would help if you mentioned which model you have. It appears they have 6 different models currently available.

I have a Bushnell Onix 200. Got the Quick start guide but it is not very userfreindly especially for beginners like us. We would like to be able to download waypoints from the Geocaching web site.

On page 16 of the manual it indicates that you can:

"•Enter the coordinates using the PC Companion software, then transfer them to an ONIX connected to your PC via USB."

That suggests that there is a USB transfer mode. But, there's no additional info if you can use LOC or GPX files as used by GC.com to transfer waypoints. You may need to experiment.

First step may be to have several cache listings downloaded to your PC using the loc format (assuming you may not yet be a premium member of GC.com). Take those files and import them into the PC Companion program provided to you by Bushnell. If you can import the .loc files to your Bushnell PC Companion software you can then possibly have them transfer over to your GPS. Apologies for the generaltities but I haven't seen much discussion on Bushnell devices. Best be is to experiment.

On page 16 of the manual it indicates that you can:

"•Enter the coordinates using the PC Companion software, then transfer them to an ONIX connected to your PC via USB."

That suggests that there is a USB transfer mode. But, there's no additional info if you can use LOC or GPX files as used by GC.com to transfer waypoints. You may need to experiment.

First step may be to have several cache listings downloaded to your PC using the loc format (assuming you may not yet be a premium member of GC.com). Take those files and import them into the PC Companion program provided to you by Bushnell. If you can import the .loc files to your Bushnell PC Companion software you can then possibly have them transfer over to your GPS. Apologies for the generaltities but I haven't seen much discussion on Bushnell devices. Best be is to experiment.

As I said in the above posting, and as shown on my copy of the PC Companion. (Version 1.5 - Current)

There is no provision for importing or opening anything other than a Bushnell Project file.

The rep from Bushnell told me that you have to enter them manually via their software

The above snippet from the manual does nothing to contradict what I said - the snippet says you can transfer the information you entered via the PC software to the GPS - NOTHING ELSE!.