How to convert degrees to feet?

Mosaic55

How many feet are in .001 of a minute? I'm at 41' 45.629" North.

I know I've seen something about conversions posted before but I can't find it now.

Here's a handy conversion table from Markwell's FAQ.

'Wow' I thought... I vaguely remembered seeing that a couple of years ago... thanks for posting that link...

and then I realized it's for be-lower 49ers... Up here above the 60th parallel we'll still have to do some calculating on our own to figure this one out! Yet another example of why that high school math really will be useful later in life. We've got a conversion formula around the workplace here somewhere - a necessary tool for our installers when they're putting up traffic signage on the highways. The original construction drawings will often have changes issued that note offsets in position which have to be double-checked with the old-fashioned steel tape system to make sure the engineers have marked out the changed location properly. This kind of math gets used in civil construction all the time - which means we look for strong math skills when hiring summer help (often hiring direct from college programs for engineering/construction mgmt/surveying). It's mildly hilarious for me to show up in a white hardhat (driving a Dodge Nitro with plates reading 'CACHER'), pull out the geocaching gear, average a position, and shut the project down until the 'real' surveyors can come out and correct a mistake in measurements made by the professional road engineers (or utility locators). All our trucks carry Garmin GPS handhelds & the drivers are schooled in recording 'averaged' positions for all their work... a policy which has saved us money (and 'face') numerous times!