Character encoding problem with pocket queries

Harv

The geocaching.com website presents web pages, including cache information pages, in UTF-8. GPX files also use UTF-8 as the character encoding. However, somewhere in the process of creating pocket query results, the character encoding is messed up.

Take for example GC198ZA. The web page shows the cache hider's name is ADØOR, and later on the page curly quote characters are used. “Like this." However, the .gpx file that I get as the result of the pocket query shows the hider's name as ADØOR and shows curly quote characters “like this.â€

I'd love to see this fixed.

If you'd love to see it fixed, use an application that deals correctly with UTF-8 encodings. What you're describing as "curly quote characters" are teh UTF-8 escape sequences for representing Unicode characters.

The web pages uses hex escaped encodings and that's legal.

The GPX downloads use "real" UTF-8 encodings and that's legal, too.

If you're viewing either with tools that don't understand the expressiveness of their various transports, you will be bummed.

If you'd love to see it fixed, use an application that deals correctly with UTF-8 encodings. What you're describing as "curly quote characters" are teh UTF-8 escape sequences for representing Unicode characters.

The web pages uses hex escaped encodings and that's legal.

The GPX downloads use "real" UTF-8 encodings and that's legal, too.

If you're viewing either with tools that don't understand the expressiveness of their various transports, you will be bummed.

Thanks, Robert. I've verified what you said. Sorry for the false bug report.