DeLorme Topo Maps for Canada?

Point Blank

Point,

DeLorme does not have a standard topographic database for Canada at this time. In order to view Canadian maps on the PN-20 GPSr you would want to use the DeLorme Xmap software, which would allow you to import almost any map data that you could find on the internet (depending upon file type) or scanned paper maps and then transfer that data to the PN-20.

I hope this helps. :D

-Brian

Thanks for the reply.

So, if you scan a map into the software does it just "take a picture" of the map and put it into the GPSr?

Or can you make the map functional, as in having routable trails, roads etc?

Are there plans to produce a "Topo Canada" mapset?

Edited by Point Blank

Point,

Not quite that simple. You scan the map into your computer. You use the software to "register" the map, matching locations so that that scanned map is put into its proper geographical location. You would then "cut" the map into a package that can be sent to the PN-20. It is definitely more than just "taking a picture" it would be a custom raster data layer that you have created.

You could digitally trace the roads on your scanned map to create a routeable road layer and then it would be routable in both the software and the PN-20.

Not sure about plans for a Topo Canada. We have Canadian street data, but no topo at this time. It would be wrong of me to speculate. :anicute:

Check out some of the threads on this topic on the DeLorme forum. There are many expecienced users there as well.

I hope this helps!

-Brian