Software for GPS enabled Windows Mobile Device

Spunkmeyer

I usually rely on my trusty eXplorist for most caching, but was hoping to use my Windows Mobile phone for explaining Geocaching to friends on the spur of the moment or when I otherwise might not have the eXplorist handy. Granted, the GPS in the phone is not really engineered for the slow, precise movement of someone walking around looking for a geocache.

I've searched the forums for Geocaching software that will work with my GPS enabled Windows Mobile phone Sprint Mogul / HTC 6800. Playing around with the internal GPS (just unlocked in firmware) as well as a Bluetooth GPS.

I've been trying two pieces of software (suggested on the forums here) and was looking for others' feedback and experience (and to see if there are others pieces of software that I should look at) -

GeoScout - Pretty straightforward software although I tend to get errors while importing GPX and downloading from the Internet. Generally I can get it to work though. Is a bit hard to get the heading correct on the compass rose even if I walk from a good distance away. It ends up being a bit of trial and error and just getting the distance down to zero. The measuring in yards is only a little awkward - I can multiply by 3 quickly enough (haha... feet is just more intuitive for me after a couple years of caching). I'd probably pay $10-20 for this, but the $40 asking price is a little steep - at least for me and for what I plan on using the software for.

Smache - Wow... Lots of tabs and buttons that I'm still figuring out. Unfortunately the compass rose / directional indicator jumps around quite a bit. Free, but there appear to be a few bugs that the owner hasn't had time to release any fixes/updates since the initial release a year ago.

Any comments or suggestions on how to use these two titles better or others that I should check out, please let me know.

The software resources page on gc.com seems to be missing a lot of great software that is out there (GPXSonar, Cachemate, etc.). How can we work with cg.com to get it updated, add a FAQ and/or sticky to this forum

Edited by Spunkmeyer