Geocaching KML in GMM

CookCrew

Has anyone been able to use the geocaching KML with GMM?

I am anxiously awaiting my Freedom Keyring GPS for my Blackberry Curve (I love my gadgets) and I would like to use Google Mobile Maps in getting from cache to cache. Or better yet a backup handheld. But I have not found any answer on how to load the KML on google maps. Is it even possible at this time? I have heard GMM only supports a limited amount of KML.

Or is there a different method where I could use data from a PQ?

Has anyone been able to use the geocaching KML with GMM?

I am anxiously awaiting my Freedom Keyring GPS for my Blackberry Curve (I love my gadgets) and I would like to use Google Mobile Maps in getting from cache to cache. Or better yet a backup handheld. But I have not found any answer on how to load the KML on google maps. Is it even possible at this time? I have heard GMM only supports a limited amount of KML.

Or is there a different method where I could use data from a PQ?

In GMM on WM6, I can type in a URL to a KML file in the search field and the waypoint shows up on the map. I've only tried this with one waypoint so far and the KML file has to be online (not on the device) and, of course, you have to type it in. Also, the web server needs to know what to do with a KML file - in my case, it works just fine with a .txt extension - GMM knows it's a KML file. If the file name doesn't change and you use it often, it should always show up in your last search list.

In GMM on WM6, I can type in a URL to a KML file in the search field and the waypoint shows up on the map. I've only tried this with one waypoint so far and the KML file has to be online (not on the device) and, of course, you have to type it in. Also, the web server needs to know what to do with a KML file - in my case, it works just fine with a .txt extension - GMM knows it's a KML file. If the file name doesn't change and you use it often, it should always show up in your last search list.

Were you using Gecaching.com's kml or did you create your own? I tried putting the geocaching.com KML on fileden, but when I tried to "search" it in GMM, it says "No results found for: ..." I can't tell if it is bringing in the file or not.

Were you using Gecaching.com's kml or did you create your own? I tried putting the geocaching.com KML on fileden, but when I tried to "search" it in GMM, it says "No results found for: ..." I can't tell if it is bringing in the file or not.

I made my own in Google Earth. Just create a waypoint and then right-click on it in the Places and Save As... .kml (not kmz). I'll try it with a bunch of geocaches and let you know what I find out. Edited by TFTC

I made my own in Google Earth. Just create a waypoint and then right-click on it in the Places and Save As... .kml (not kmz). I'll try it with a bunch of geocaches and let you know what I find out.
Ok, it worked, but it only shows the 1st 9 waypoints so that looks like the limit. Also, it only shows the waypoint name and not any of the other info (as far as I can tell). Here's my basic procedure: I have all my caches in GSAK so I set a filter to limit them to 5 miles then export to Google Earth. Then in Google Earth, I right click on the cache folder and save as .kml. I upload that (with the extension .txt) to a web site and then search for that URL from GMM and I see the 1st 9 caches. Edited by TFTC
I still am not able to get it to work, but I will work on it more. Thanks for the info.
It's possible (if not likely) that GMM for Blackberry is different than GMM for WM6 - but it would be unfortunate if they didn't have the same features.

I never gave up on the possibility of user error [:D] I finally got it to work today. My problems before were a combination of using the wrong KML and then trying a too big kml. But following your steps with a smaller set of data, it works perfectly now.

Thanks TFTC!!

I still am not able to get it to work, but I will work on it more. Thanks for the info.
It's possible (if not likely) that GMM for Blackberry is different than GMM for WM6 - but it would be unfortunate if they didn't have the same features.

I never gave up on the possibility of user error [;)] I finally got it to work today. My problems before were a combination of using the wrong KML and then trying a too big kml. But following your steps with a smaller set of data, it works perfectly now.

Thanks TFTC!!

I'm experiencing the same issues - I've created static KML file in desktop GM containing around 130 caches, published the file, registered kml mime type on the web server and it's working fine in desktop GM now. But GMM on my PDA (WM6 HTC Polaris) dispays only the fist 9 placemarks. For how many cashes did it work for you? I can get only 9 even from kml file with only 20 spots.

Another issue is GMM shows just the name of a cache, no other tags (coordinates, url to cache details) which makes it useless at all :laughing:

TFAnyHint

I never gave up on the possibility of user error [;)] I finally got it to work today. My problems before were a combination of using the wrong KML and then trying a too big kml. But following your steps with a smaller set of data, it works perfectly now.

Thanks TFTC!!

I'm experiencing the same issues - I've created static KML file in desktop GM containing around 130 caches, published the file, registered kml mime type on the web server and it's working fine in desktop GM now. But GMM on my PDA (WM6 HTC Polaris) dispays only the fist 9 placemarks. For how many cashes did it work for you? I can get only 9 even from kml file with only 20 spots.

Another issue is GMM shows just the name of a cache, no other tags (coordinates, url to cache details) which makes it useless at all :laughing:

TFAnyHint

From everything I have seen, the nine caches is a limitation of GMM, not a problem with your KML. It is something I hope Google addresses in their next release. I like to think of it as a good start and look forward to it getting better.

I haven't tried it with more that 7 caches, I may try it later and see what happens.

hi i have also been playing with the import kml on gmm and after abit of playing im happy with the result the trick is to download the gpx combine them into one .gpx then edit the strings in notepad to include address and phone fields from the long_descryption and encoded hints fields then output to kml you end up with the cache name in name description in address and the clues in phone fields in gmm

I never gave up on the possibility of user error [:sad:] I finally got it to work today. My problems before were a combination of using the wrong KML and then trying a too big kml. But following your steps with a smaller set of data, it works perfectly now.

Thanks TFTC!!

Another issue is GMM shows just the name of a cache, no other tags (coordinates, url to cache details) which makes it useless at all :)

TFAnyHint

From everything I have seen, the nine caches is a limitation of GMM, not a problem with your KML. It is something I hope Google addresses in their next release. I like to think of it as a good start and look forward to it getting better.

I haven't tried it with more that 7 caches, I may try it later and see what happens.