Why do some people 'grab' a bug when it is not in their possession?

Baker's Achers

I recently had someone place a bug in my 'hotel' that they then could not log because someone else had 'grabbed' it from them and logged it in a different cache. (I'm in Michigan, the bug was logged in Arizona.) I finally just 'grabbed' it back and logged it into my hotel. Why do people do that? Is anything accomplished by doing that? Does it add miles on the bug or something? All I know is that it was a pain in my ....um, hotel!

Yeah, I had the bug in my possession then, so I had the number. It was logged as 'grabbed' from my friend. When you went to the bug's page, it was placed in Az, even when I had it in hand in MI. I got that straightened out, but I just wonder why people would do that or if it serves any kind of purpose. (It was my Riverside Bed & Breakfast Hotel, the Philadelphia Experiment bug).

The only recent Grab I see was out of a cache, both Retrieve and Grab or an allowed option when a bug is listed in a cache.

One log is a bit odd- "Discovered it in 1492, looked again and it had faded away."

Then the next cacher reported it found there.

I'd say it was moved and wasn't yet logged into the cache it was found in.

It happens.