Garmin Communicator problem

I downloaded and installed (twice) the latest version of Garmin Communicator (2.3.1.0).

Rebooted and all that stuff between runs.

I have multiple USB attached storage devices. When Garmin Communicator runs their test page, the GPS is listed LAST of all the devices. It is NOT an option to disable/remove all of the storage devices.

When I try to download a .gpx file directly from a geocache using Garmin Communicator, the program scans ALL devices. In the pulldown, it lists them all, including my GPS. The download then starts and stores the .gpx file on the FIRST storage device. I then selected the GPS and told it to go again. BUT, Garmin Communicator rescanned the USB chain and tried the download to the FIRST device. Since this is exactly where it installed on the previous download, I got the replacement message.

No matter what I try, it ALWAYS goes to the first device.

When I tried from MyGarmin to down load geocaches, the message that comes up from their site says:

***** Start message

> Garmin Plugin

>

> Garmin Plugin Version: 2.3.1.0

>

> Garmin Device: SMARTMEDIA (M:\)*

>

> *More than one Garmin device was found connected to your computer. Only the first one found was selected.

***** End message

and it does NOT give you the option of changing the "Gamin Device" (SMARTMEDIA is obviously NOT a Garmin Device).

Anyway, I have been communicating with Garmin and they don't (thus far) seem to be able to help.

Has anyone used Garmin Communicator with USB attached storage devices?

If you got it to find the GPS, what did you do?

As a test, try a Thumb drive in a USB port and see what happens when you try to download to your GPS,