Filter to ignore lined out caches on google map search

root1657

I've recently come back to the sport after some time away and I'm loving some of the new features! I'm pretty quickly addicted to using the google map search and then using the link to load the items straight to my GPSr (Isnt technology wonderful!).

I like that I can filter out and find only certain types of caches, but the glaring ommision I see is an aditional filter to omit the lined out caches from that map. The list to the right shows them lined out, and the icons on the map are a different color (at least for singles) so I'm guessing that it has some awareness of them.

Days are getting longer, so I'm looking forward to the greater chances for going out searching (and only now am I finding out about night caching anyway)

Thanks to everyone, from the programmers all the way out to the guy who doesnt have a single find yet.

root1657

As a Premium Member, try the Pocket Queries! They will let you download the nearest 500 caches and you can filter out the "lined out" or "disabled", the ones you have already found and several other options.

I am using pocket queries for gsak and GPXviewer for the ppc, however, I was specifically hoping for this filter on the google map search page because of the visual element it adds to my mental planning. I've decided that the best approach for me is NOT to go for caches that are 'near' each other, because sometimes linear distance is meaningless in San Diego. I've got to contrend with a uniquely shaped set of bays, major highways, geographical impasses, and things of that sort. There are places where telling my reciever to go to the next cache would point me a hundred yards across a river that I would have to go many miles to get to, and things of that sort, so seeing the google map search is awesome. It does mussle up the picture though to have those disabled caches (thanks for the proper term) in the mix, and when I print it black and white, and loose the inteligence of those icons, it's less than handy.

I think the best method for me isnt going to be distance, it's going to be arbitrary geographical grouping that I pick, for example, do all the ones on the peninsula, then everything west of Nimitz, then everything west of 5, south of 8 and north of downtown, take the downtown next, etc.... to work out my 'cleared' area. When I look at the google search page, I should see empty areas of map, and if a new one pops up there, it goes to the top of my to do list to maintain my cleared area. Having these disabled caches there sucks because I most likely cant complete them, yet I dont want to ignore them on an ignore list, in hopes that they may become active again.

Anyway, so many of my plans and hopes hinge on a silly longing for a simple filter button that just isnt there.... how sad is that?

root1657

I've been to San Diego a number of times and I agree about the variability of the terrain. It's never a straight line.

The best workaround for you right now is to output the filtered caches from GSAK to a GPX file. Then drag that file to Google Earth. If you have enabled the Google Earth view from Groundspeak, turn it off and you will have the exact placement of all of the caches in your PQ on a satellite-view map! You can print from there, too, to take into the field.