Dowloading Cache Info to GPS enabled cell phones

raydarluvr

I have an HTC Herm100 (AT&T 8525) with a Garmin GPS 10x running Garmin Mobile XT. I have tried to download caches from the Garmin site as well as Geocaching.com. I have tried the downloads with the phone sync'd via USB, and by inserting the micro SD in my reader. With the micro SD in the reader I can get what I think are the cache files on the card. I can find them using file explorer. But, I can't seem to access them with Garmin Mobile XT software. I can manually enter coordinates, but that doesn't give me any other information. Does anyone have instructions as to download caches and use Garmin Mobile XT software to find them?

I have an HTC Herm100 (AT&T 8525) with a Garmin GPS 10x running Garmin Mobile XT. I have tried to download caches from the Garmin site as well as Geocaching.com. I have tried the downloads with the phone sync'd via USB, and by inserting the micro SD in my reader. With the micro SD in the reader I can get what I think are the cache files on the card. I can find them using file explorer. But, I can't seem to access them with Garmin Mobile XT software. I can manually enter coordinates, but that doesn't give me any other information. Does anyone have instructions as to download caches and use Garmin Mobile XT software to find them?

Hi raydarluvr,

I too use a Garmin 10 Mobile XT, but with a Palm TX. I am also waiting for a slicker way to do what you say! What I do is this:

1. Look on your sd card there should be a folder "Garmin".

2. Inside "Garmin" is there a folder, "GPX"? If not make one.

3. Get all of your caches into a gpx format and rename the file "Current.gpx"

4. Copy "Current.gpx" to the "GPX" folder on your card.

5. Open up Mobile XT and goto "Tools", "Manage my data", then "Custom POI Sets" You will get an error saying that you don't have any. Then you'll see an "options" button...click and "Import GPX File"

6. To use these, goto "Where to?", then "My Locations".

You should be set to go! Like I said, this is a bit clunky, but I am not a programmer so this is the best I got!

best of luck!

Pat

Thanks Pat. I will give this a try. Clarifiy.. Steps 3 through 6 for each cache one at a time?

Hi raydarluvr,

I too use a Garmin 10 Mobile XT, but with a Palm TX. I am also waiting for a slicker way to do what you say! What I do is this:

1. Look on your sd card there should be a folder "Garmin".

2. Inside "Garmin" is there a folder, "GPX"? If not make one.

3. Get all of your caches into a gpx format and rename the file "Current.gpx"

4. Copy "Current.gpx" to the "GPX" folder on your card.

5. Open up Mobile XT and goto "Tools", "Manage my data", then "Custom POI Sets" You will get an error saying that you don't have any. Then you'll see an "options" button...click and "Import GPX File"

6. To use these, goto "Where to?", then "My Locations".

You should be set to go! Like I said, this is a bit clunky, but I am not a programmer so this is the best I got!

best of luck!

Pat

The one GPX file should include all of the caches. I get my GPX files from GCing.com "Pocket Queries"...you have to be a premium member to get these. You could ostensibly have one cache per GPX file but usually they contain all of them.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if this still isn't clear!

Pat