Should I upgrade my GPS V?

smthng

I currently have a Garmin GPS V that I use for Geocaching. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, but it's a bit "aged" compared to some of the new units. I'm thinking about buying a Garmin Vista HCx, but I'm not totally sold on the idea yet. Has anyone done a similar jump up to the newer units? What did you think... Was it really worth it and the newer units make a huge difference, or am I not going to experience much more than quicker satellite locks?

Note: This is ONLY in regard to geocaching... I have a 2610 for the vehicles that I plan to hang on to for quite some time, so street routing and stuff isn't too much of a concern. TIA!

I currently have a Garmin GPS V that I use for Geocaching. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, but it's a bit "aged" compared to some of the new units. I'm thinking about buying a Garmin Vista HCx, but I'm not totally sold on the idea yet. Has anyone done a similar jump up to the newer units? What did you think... Was it really worth it and the newer units make a huge difference, or am I not going to experience much more than quicker satellite locks?

Note: This is ONLY in regard to geocaching... I have a 2610 for the vehicles that I plan to hang on to for quite some time, so street routing and stuff isn't too much of a concern. TIA!

I would wait. There are a bunch of new GPSs coming out in 2008.

I went the very route you're considering: a Garmin GPS V to a Vista HCx. There was nothing wrong with the V, either; my Mother now uses is it for her primary. The Vista's accuracy is better under the canopy, and the color screen and Geocaching feature is nice as an extra. The USB is nice and fast, too. I don't regret the upgrade at all.

It is good advice, as suggested above, to wait and watch the new units coming out, or the prices, especially, of the "older" models at the same time.