iPhone GPS module due Feb 2008

JSWilson64

Here's a link to the hardware: Partfoundry and here's a link to one software developer - voice your requests! Monster and Friends.

They say the hardware will ship in Feb 2008. Without seeing any product, I think the OpenMoko folks have a better shot at a useable GPS application for a touch-screen smart phone, since they're working with open hardware and software. With the iPhone / iPod Touch, you run the risk of an Apple update bricking your device.

Here's a link to the hardware: Partfoundry

I don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch yet, so I haven't been paying extremely close attention to developments regarding them, but I have a question about this quote from the PartFoundry site:

The iphone locoGPS module allows jail broken iphones to finally have GPS functionality.

If you jailbreak an iPhone or iPod, doesn't that invalidate the warranty?

Patty

Here's a link to the hardware: Partfoundry

I don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch yet, so I haven't been paying extremely close attention to developments regarding them, but I have a question about this quote from the PartFoundry site:

The iphone locoGPS module allows jail broken iphones to finally have GPS functionality.

If you jailbreak an iPhone or iPod, doesn't that invalidate the warranty?

Patty

Yes, . . . . unless you're able to save and restore the firmware before turning it in for service, modders

beware!

Norm

I have an iPhone and it's a little frustrating when it comes to GPS's and third party apps/hardware. Yes Apple will not officially support jailbroken phones.

I'm currently use a program called Navizon that gives me positional data from cell towers. It's not too bad for general directions and it integrates well with Google Maps. No turn by turn but I don't think the module will offer that ether. Works with my data plan so I'm not tied to wi-fi.

In Feb 2008 Apple is going to offer a SDK for third party vendors...so that would make us think they'll allow things like the GPS module soon. We'll have to see, but I don't see the battery being too friendly to some attachment sucking power. It already struggles with wi-fi, edge, and Bluethooth all running.

I hack the heck out of my phone to make it do what I need. It's such a capable and dynamic device, but they lock it down and force people to take the risk.

Well, so the date has come and gone, and PartFoundry has placed the iPhone / iPod Touch GPS module on indefinite hold. I guess the SDK didn't have what they needed to make it a go after all. They are working on a new product that is a wifi-connected "GPS server," with a summer 2008 release date.

Quote from www.gomite.com

LocoGPS Wi-Fi Mobile Navigation Server incorporates its own GPS receiver, processor, battery and transmits over an integrated Wi-Fi radio to enable a full mapping solution through a web-based user interface. So in other words, if your device has Wi-Fi and a compatible web browser then you can connect to locoGPS Wi-Fi Mobile Navigation Server without special software installed on the display device - pretty nifty, eh?

I ain't holding my breath.

It's a shame Apple won't turn loose the Bluetooth on the iPhone.