GPSMapEdit polygon and point styles

dunmappin

I am extremely impressed with the choice of lines, points and polygons avaialble for use in GPSMapEdit. I have been applying them to vector mapping data that I eventually load into my Garmin Legend HCx via cGPSmapper and Img2gps very successfully.

I have three queries arising, however:

1. Neither of the two urban area polygon styles I have tried display at all in my Garmin, yet something like City parks displays perfectly, with any line or point features appearing on top. I should have thought urban areas would have worked in the same way.

2. I am surprised that there is no symbol for a railway (railroad) station. I should have thought that would be an important feature so far as locating in GIS is concerned.

3. I should like to have the facility to load a grid or graticule for referencing and identification purposes (this would be an outlined transparent polygon file, with a grid reference attribute for each square).

I should appreciate any observations or advice.

I am extremely impressed with the choice of lines, points and polygons avaialble for use in GPSMapEdit. I have been applying them to vector mapping data that I eventually load into my Garmin Legend HCx via cGPSmapper and Img2gps very successfully.

I have three queries arising, however:

1. Neither of the two urban area polygon styles I have tried display at all in my Garmin, yet something like City parks displays perfectly, with any line or point features appearing on top. I should have thought urban areas would have worked in the same way.

2. I am surprised that there is no symbol for a railway (railroad) station. I should have thought that would be an important feature so far as locating in GIS is concerned.

3. I should like to have the facility to load a grid or graticule for referencing and identification purposes (this would be an outlined transparent polygon file, with a grid reference attribute for each square).

I should appreciate any observations or advice.

1) Some Garmin units have an option to display urban areas or not. I don't know if the HCx has that option or not, if so it could be turned off.

2) If you use a .typ file with your maps you can change how points, polylines, and polygons appear for the map. So you could use feature point type 0x6417 (manmade place, other) for the railroad station, and customzie the icon that's displayed for that type with a .typ file).

3) There aren't any transparent polygons in the traditional sense, best way would be to use polylines to make a grid, again you could use a .typ file to control how the lines look, you could make them a very light grey so they don't stick out too much.

Thanks for your reply.

I am a cartographer, not at all confident with 'behind the scenes computer manipulation'. I have read about .typ files, Cypherman, MapSetToolKit, and MapSource through numerous forum threads, which seem to involve altering the Registry. That makes me nervous and I would rather not go down that route.

Having said that, I was most impressed to see the sort of work that can be done in terms of changing road casings and fills in this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=150581

Allowing that I am not currently using MapSource but GPSMapEdit, cGPSmapper.exe, and Img2gps, am I still able to create a .typ file to incorporate with a .img file in the creation of gmapsupp.img and effect such changes or additions?