POLL - what's YOUR favorite?

SKKC

1. My favorite GPSr has to be the Magellan Explorest 500LE

2. For paperless caching I use the 80GB iPod video(No joke), The ipod Software :rolleyes:

3. I don't use software

4. Map? It would be Microsoft Mappoint

Okay I have a 30 GB iPod Video. How do you use it for paperless

Try here: http://www.podcacher.com/files/paperlessipod/iPod.swf

I used this and it worked for my Nano. The only part I had to alter was placing the GPX file in to the temp folder myself. Good luck

Favorite GPSR:

Ron = Magellan Meridian Gold w/SD Card

Lois = Magellan Explorist 210

Paperless Caching:

Ron = Palm m500

Lois = Palm z22

Both use GPX Spinner for converting the Pocket Query to Html and Plucker to convert the files to Palm Database files. A hotsync loads the files to both Palms & pages look a lot like what is seen on line.

Software: nothing but GSAK. This loads the cache files directly to the Meridian and exports files for use on the Explorist. Very versatile, even lets you create your own waypoints that can be loaded to the GPSR just like a cache.

Mapping:

Ron = Mapsend Direct Route v2.0 - up to 64 MB map files to SD Card

Lois = Mapsend Topo3D - only 24 MB to onboard memory, but easier to switch files.

Thanks,

Ron & Lois - "Bead Masters"

Lawton, MI 49065

1. GPS - until recently a Garmin 12XL, now a GPSMap 60CSx

2. Paperless Device and Software - oldfashioned Psion 5mx PDA (not for GPS use, though it will talk to a GPS through a weird cable combo, and it has European RoutePlanner software developed in the stone age by TomTom before they became TomTom; but it is still simply an excellent pocket computer with a real keyboard, great battery life and lots of software). And a 12 inch notebook PC (IBM ThinkPad) running topo map software from IGN, the French topo institute (scanned maps, not routable vectors).

3. Software for downloading Waypoints - Bayo CartoExploreur by IGN (see above). Based on Mapsource. As it uses real 1:25.000 scale topo maps with superb detail I can use it to enter balloon launch and landing sites and competition target locations very precisely.

4. Maps - electronic in PC: CartoExploreur; in the GPS, TOPO France and CityNavigator France (whole country on a 1GB card); plus a load of paper maps in 1:25.000, 1:50.000 and 1:100.000, most with UTM grid.

Hello everyone,

I'm having a hard time deciding on a few things. I know there are a LOT of opinions on what is the BEST for each of these things. What I'm looking for is:

What is YOUR FAVORITE in each of these if you have them (or want them), doesn't matter whether it's the eXplorist or the 530HCx!

YOUR FAVORITE:

1. GPS

2. Paperless Device and Software

3. Software for downloading Waypoints

4. Maps

Thanks a BUNCH!

SKKC

1. I use a Garmin eTrex Legend

2. I use my iPhone and my own software (iGeocacher)

3. I just use the Pocket queries directly from the geocaching forum with the iPhone but to download them to the eTrex I use Geobuddy (but I'm now evaluating GSAK as it looks good.) For onesey, twosey ad hoc dowloads I just use the new "send to GPS" facility here with the eTrex. It works very well. But for bulk downloads using one of the other tools is a must.

4. The iPhone and iPod touch have the full Google maps built right in for both street, satellite and hybrid views. I find that's all I need and I've integrated it with my software.

My personal goal was not to have bunches and bunches of pieces/parts but rather a well integrated tool or two that would minimize the amount of "fussing" that I had to do by way of advanced preparation for caching. Some solutions I've seen just have too many steps. Given the on-line download to GPS feature that is now a part of the Geocaching.com site, I really only need my GPS and my iPhone and the iGeocacher webapp for the latter. You could pretty much do the same thing with an iPod Touch too.

-dB

www.ayefon.com - inexpensive geocaching solutions for the iPhone and iPod Touch.