Search with Google Maps

coconutsally

Some of the changes to the Google map search page have been very helpful, like having the small pic of the kind of cache right on the map and the larger map size on the screen. But some changes have made it more difficult to use. The first thing is how the map will not show caches when scaled out past 15 miles. Im sure this is great for city cachers, but for some of us that like to look for caches in large more remote areas, ie Nevada, Wyoming, etc, there is no way to scale back far enough to find the caches. The second thing is that the caches do not come up on the right side of the screen anymore. Now we have to check the types we want and hit another button, once again this is a nice feature for city cachers, but makes it more difficult for searching wider areas. The Google Maps search page is a great feature, and is the only way to search for caches especially in remote areas. Can you please figure out a way for the map to show caches again when scaled further back than 15 miles. Thank you

We feel the same way. Love how the map is bigger and that we can determine the cache type on the map, but having to click on the icon to see what cache it is and whether or not it is active has made it more difficult to plan a geocaching adventure. I also agree that the 15 mile radius has caused problems for us.

Would like to suggest putting the #'s back on the map and the cache listing on the right side, but color code the #'s so we know what the cache type is. Green = traditional; Yellow = Multi; Purple = Mystery, etc. I think this way we could have the best of all worlds.

I would also like to propose a feature that would allow us the ability to remove disabled caches from the map - similar to hiding the ones we've already found.

Bookmarking Caches from the map use to be easy now it has been turned into multiple clicks per cache.

You added a filter tool (Which is a great feature) to the map but took away features.

How about a link to the old map code while you make changes to the new.

Now things are beginning to shake down and going well. I'm not so worried about the 15 mile limit: rarely an issue here in Europe - well Scotland and the Nordics perhaps - certainly one of my caches will be affected.

The loss of a list of cache names is annoying because I and others simply printed off the map and then knew exactly where we would be driving etc when we did a batch of caches. That was a GOOD feature so bring us a 'toggle' option to display GC cache refs next to the icon if we so want.

(Those who live in more densely populated areas will immediately recognise the advantage)

I like being able to 'switch off' caches I dont want to see.

So - in the right direction but more to do. Otherwise known as 'work in progress'.