Elevation download question - 60csx

This may be really easy, I just don't know how to do it. I've got a 60CSX with the Trip and Waypoint manager that came with it, also have EasyGPS.

I went on a 50-mile bike ride with my son's Boy Scout troop and recorded a track log. I'd like to make it available to the other Scouts and their parents. I know how to save the track log and display it on Google Earth - I've done that with my ETrex Legend.

What I'm not sure of is how to save/manipulate the elevation profile, to come up with something that looks like what they have on the Tour de France web site.

Is this do-able? The GPSr has been off since the ride, and I haven't turned tracks off, nor have I saved the track log (I seem to remember something about it losing data when you do that, so I didn't, yet). It may be a simple case of RTFM - just point me to the correct M to R :laughing:

Well, it won't look as spiffy as a Tour de France profile, but you can use MapSource to view the track profile, then print the screen. It's a long way from perfect but it will give you something short of buying another software program such as National Geographic Topo! for one example.

Open MapSource and download your track data. Under the Tracks tab, click on the track log of your bike trip. It will be named something like "ACTIVE LOG 001". Right click on it, select Track Properties/Show Profile. You can use the Red and Blue marker tool to set a begin and end point that will display distance and elevation range. Click on Show Track Points to see each data point, too.

Thanks, that might be fine for what I want to do, we'll see.

Do you know whether the elevation is recorded by the GPS or the barometer?

If you have auto-calibrate on, it is GPS-assisted barometric altitude. Otherwise, it is barometric altitude, based on your manual calibration.

Edited by dogwalkers2

If you have auto-calibrate on, it is GPS-assisted barometric altitude. Otherwise, it is barometric altitude, based on your manual calibration.

Hmmm, I had never heard of that and so was just looking in my 60CSx for something like an auto-calibrate function for the barometer. Couldn't find it anywhere. Could you tell me where in the menus that is? Thanks!

Hmmm, I had never heard of that and so was just looking in my 60CSx for something like an auto-calibrate function for the barometer. Couldn't find it anywhere. Could you tell me where in the menus that is? Thanks!

Main Menu>Setup>Altimeter. There is a drop-down box for Autocalibration. Select On. You also need to select variable elevation in the other drop down box to get an altitude plot. This is on page 76 of the 60 CSx manual.