Any Uniontown, PA-area cachers want to place a cache here?

Sparrowhawk

Well it looks like my favorite PA cache is now archived.

Scattered Remains (archived cache)

The location is in a lost location in the woods. Very eerie and very cool. Scarier than the Blair Witch Project.

From the original cache description:

The cache is in the scattered remains of an abandoned industrial complex. It seems as though they pulled out of here in a hurry and left everything behind. There are numerous structures, rail lines, and other stuff spread out over this vast area of about 100 acres. I made a trip to the local library to see what I could find out about this place. I learned that the DuPont Company owned the site and that it produced gunpowder during the World Wars. It was an extremely dangerous place to work given that several men lost their lives in various accidents at the plant. There were three major explosions in the World War I era and at least one more during World War II. On the morning of November 20, 1942, two men who were packing silk bags of rifle powder into steel kegs were "blown to bits" in an explosion that rocked Fairchance and shattered the windows of nearby homes. Look for wooden structures filled with dirt along the sides of some of the buildings. These structures are ramparts designed to contain the blast in the event of an accident like this one. They must have worked as advertised because none of the other workers at the plant were seriously injured. I do not know why or when production at this facility ceased. I'm guessing that it had outlived its usefulness when the war ended and that was that for that. One can only wonder about what all this stuff was for and what this place might have looked like when the plant was in full operation.

OK... that's just too cool to just let it get lost and archived! :cool:

2f321a65-c998-470b-9517-641808ccc0a0.jpg

e5880178-8307-4038-89d5-3a32d9848c3c.jpg

If anyone takes this on, that would be wonderful to see. :cool:

Edited by Sparrowhawk

My first cache I found was placed by Quest Master--Polly Takes the Plunge. It was awesome to find...all the turns and twists....just wanted it to keep going. I have always wanted to do this one.....life got in the way, and I quit caching for a while. I'm back now and plan on doing this one soon.......more so now that I have seen some pics! Looks awesome! Now if I can just get hubby off the couch and get him to follow me into the woods...... :)

P.S. Will post some pics after I find it. :)

Those are absolutely AWESOME photos! Where 'o where did you ever find such WONDERFUL pictures???? B)

From the cache page of course. :P

I wish I could take credit for 'em because I like the composition. Kudos to the original photographer(s).

Thank you, very much! I'm glad you liked my pics! B)

That is an awesome cache. My friend JimBat and I did it, as well as the other two caches which make up "The Fairchance Three"

Scattered Remains, Polly Takes The Plunge, and Cache 22. We made a day of it and had a blast doing them all in the same trip!

Edited by Mooman56