76CS Memory question

I have a 76CS that I have loaded routable maps on in the past. My question is, is there a way to tell how much memory is left. I seem to have lost some maps. Did I lose them when I loaded a route from Maine to Georga that I did a few months ago..

I'm also having a problem with routing... When the GPSr does and autoroute the starting point is at the closest major highway, which could be miles away... I have changed prefs to many combos with no change. I called Garmin and they said to "reaquire Sats" by holding zoom out>power. didnt seem to improve routing. They said If that didnt work I wold have to do a Hadr Reset ....OH JOY, I get to start all over. Ill have to call them back to find out how!!

Whenever you load new maps, it erases all the old maps on the unit (except the basemap). If you loaded maps for the Maine to Georgia route, it wiped out whatever you loaded before.

Reload the maps you want from Mapsource. As you select them, keep your eye on the total memory used number at the bottom of the Maps tab on the left. That will tell you what you've selected. You just can't go over 115MB for the 76CS.

Edit: Ignore Garmin's advice on the reset. The problem is that your local maps are gone, so the unit is trying to route on the basemap (the closest road it knows about). Once you reload your local maps, you'll be in business.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Ok, I reloaded new maps of northeast...@ 65meg so I am within limits BUT after trying a route it does the same thing. Route starts 3 miles away on a highway and it will not start on a roural road...I also cant use geocaching mode unless I tell it not to follow the roads. Im stumped.

It acts like it cant see the small roads but if I knew how to upload an image from ximage I could show you that it sees the small roads.

I have the 76s which doesn't autoroute but, i can turn the base map and/or any loaded mapsource maps on and off. This is done in the map setup under menu while on the map screen. Of course you would want mapsource to be on. May not have anything to do with your problem but then again, it might!

Oooops. i just reread the above and saw your last sentence. Nevermind...

Edited by Mudfrog

I have a 76CS that I have loaded routable maps on in the past. My question is, is there a way to tell how much memory is left. I seem to have lost some maps. Did I lose them when I loaded a route from Maine to Georga that I did a few months ago..

I'm also having a problem with routing... When the GPSr does and autoroute the starting point is at the closest major highway, which could be miles away... I have changed prefs to many combos with no change. I called Garmin and they said to "reaquire Sats" by holding zoom out>power. didnt seem to improve routing. They said If that didnt work I wold have to do a Hadr Reset ....OH JOY, I get to start all over. Ill have to call them back to find out how!!

I have a 76CSX and I assume that your system is very similar to mine.

select Main Menu

select Setup - Enter

select Routing - Enter

select Follow Road Options - Enter

Uncheck the 'Avoid 'Unpaved Roads' box.

Just a shot in the dark.

Ok, I reloaded new maps of northeast...@ 65meg so I am within limits BUT after trying a route it does the same thing. Route starts 3 miles away on a highway and it will not start on a roural road...I also cant use geocaching mode unless I tell it not to follow the roads. Im stumped.

It acts like it cant see the small roads but if I knew how to upload an image from ximage I could show you that it sees the small roads.

Did you load the route calculation data along with the mapset when you transferred it to the GPS? If you haven't done so already, be sure to checkmark the "Include route calculation data" option before transferring the maps. The option does not automatically get selected when using auto-routing capable maps so it's easy to overlook.