First Buy! Need some questions answered...

GamMan

Hey all!

I am looking to buy a mapping gps for geocaching and dirt-biking. The two that I am debating between are the eTrex Legend and the eTrex Legend HCx. There are obvious benefits to the HCx, but it is about double the price.

My main question is whether or not you need the manufacturer's mapping software in order to use the mapping feature of the gps. Can I download free maps somewhere, or use a less expensive third party suite and get the same functionality?

I went by Sportsman Warehouse and REI today, but quite frankly, the salesmen were idiots (no offense to any of you in the trade, I am sure it was a completely isolated coincidence). I was told by the wonderful people at SW that the GPS would only work AT ALL if I bought the mapping software to "configure" the gps... I am %99.9 positive that is false, or else I am the idiot here. REI was at least nice enough to admit that they really didn't have any GPS experts, but were helpful in navigating a useful little flier that compared all of the models they sell.

I was also told that neither the Legend or HCx could be loaded with waypoints or placemarks without their special software.

Now by no means am I a GPS expert, I am the quintessence of newbie, but I was not impressed.

If you can tell me anything at all that might help, like features to look for and the models that have them, that would be great. Along with either agreeing with or disproving the stuff I was told at the stores, I am more confused then when I started.

Thanks all! I'm anticipating that first cache like a 5 year old his birthday...HOOAH!

-Gam

Edited by GamMan

Every GPS I'm aware of requires proprietary maps. You can load waypoints on almost any GPS with lots of free or cheap software, but maps are another story. You can get maps on PDAs, laptops, or some smartphones, and use the GPS to drive the software, but for this a bluetooth unit is far better. If you want a standalone handheld GPS with detailed maps, you'll have to pay the price.

Definitely check out this page:

www.gpsinformation.net

There are lots of reviews and info there. And lots here on the Geocaching forums. I think the "HCx" units are part of the newest eTrex units by Garmin. The timeline for something like the Legend is this:

Legend (oldest, B&W screen, 8MB internal memory only, serial port programming)

Legend C (color screen, still internal memory only)

Legend Cx (color screen, removable micro SD memory cards, USB programming)

Legend HCx (brand new, color screen, etc.)

Each one is a step forward with features and what not. I used to have an old Legend and it worked fine, but if you think you might be buying Garmin's Mapsource maps and downloading them to the unit, a newer GPS is probably your best bet.

And don't forget to check out Garmin's web page, too. I think they have a comparison chart between the different GPS units they make.

Good luck!

Ok,

I've added the eTrex Venture Cx to my list of canidates. Is there any huge difference between the Venture Cx and the Legend Cx, I can only find that the legend comes with a memory card (which I have, and is not a $40 value).

I am pretty much down to the Legend and Venture (Cx) after my hour of reading online. I can get the venture for about $180 off wal-mart's site (I like the idea of buying from a bigger company, just a comfort thing). And then I can get the Legend for about $200, from wal-mart again.

Anthing I should know about the lines?

Ok,

I've added the eTrex Venture Cx to my list of canidates. Is there any huge difference between the Venture Cx and the Legend Cx, I can only find that the legend comes with a memory card (which I have, and is not a $40 value).

I am pretty much down to the Legend and Venture (Cx) after my hour of reading online. I can get the venture for about $180 off wal-mart's site (I like the idea of buying from a bigger company, just a comfort thing). And then I can get the Legend for about $200, from wal-mart again.

Anthing I should know about the lines?

The Venture CX is a big hit, it has gotten very good reviews for the money, if I didn't want the compass too I would of bought a Venture CX but instead I went with the Vista CX and before that an Explorist 210 which is also a great unit.

For under $200 I dout you will beat the Venture CX.

Well...I think that that's good work. One day...and I know what to buy!! Thanks everyone! If you still have something to add, don't hesitate please. I wont be ordering for a while, so if there is something I should know before buying, I am all about hearing it!

Thanks!

Are you going to be using the unit under tree cover, in canyons, or in large cities, such as downtown Chicago? All of these areas present serious challenges to conventional GPS units. Units with high-sensitivity receivers perform much better in these environments. It means the difference between getting a signal lock and not.

If you don't plan to use your unit in any of these challenging environments, then don't worry about high-sensitivity. But if you do, and you're going with eTrex, I'd recommend going with one of the 'H' models.

i have a 210 and a 60cx and the accuracy is far better on the magellan because of the 14 channels instead of 12 but i am selling the package. High sensitivity not much a problem. but if you want maps get a magellan the maps are far cheaper and with mapsend topo 3d you get roads and topo for less than $100 compared to buying both the programs from garmin for about $180.