Hiding cache names on a Magellan eXplorist?

Folks,

Had to send my eXplorist 210 in for warranty repairs. Rather than fix the button problem, they sent me a new unit (minus the Invisible Shield I had on the broken one--arrgh!)

Before the problem, though, I'd set the unit so that it did not show the jumble of geocache names that clogged the screen. It just showed the cache icons.

Now I can't figure out how I disabled the display of those names. Nor can I find that info online or in the manual. For some reason, I've read a couple posts saying this can't be done, but I most certainly did it on my original unit. Whenever I slid the cursor over the icon, it would display the name at the bottom of the screen, but not above the icon itself.

What's the trick to this again?

Thanks in advance.

When your are on the map screen, hit Menu, then one of the setup choices, then display and uncheck Display Geocache names.

EScout,

First of all, thanks for the help. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I don't get that option.

Map+Menu button>Map Setup>Display gives me the following options:

Mark All

Clear All

then checkboxes for

Pts of Interest

Track Lines

Pos-Dest Lines

Depart-Dest Lines

Geocache Pts

and no more. If I uncheck "Geocache Pts," it removes all the geocache icons, too. Then I see no caches at all.

Gotta be something else OR there's a combination of settings that puts the "Geocache Names" in there like you note. But I scroll that list and have no other options than what I wrote above.

I figured it out, though it makes little intuitive sense.

From the map, place the cursor over a cache so that the name shows in the info line at the bottom of the screen. Select the menu button. Regardless of the state of your map info setting, toggle it on then off. Go back to the map and the cache icons will be there without the names. This only worked for me if the cursor was directly over a cache when I made the state change.

Hope that helps someone.

Had to send my eXplorist 210 in for warranty repairs. Rather than fix the button problem, they sent me a new unit (minus the Invisible Shield I had on the broken one--arrgh!)

Tip for everyone: Remove the InvisibleShield before sending the unit to Magellan. When I sent my 400 in to Magellan, I didn't know if I was going to get a new unit or just get the same old one back with the screen problem fixed. I contacted InvisibleShield explaining my situation and they agreed to send me a replacement under warranty. To use their warranty, you pay something like $3 and have to send back the used/damaged shield.

As for your Geocache POI name problem, were you running a different firmware version on your old 210? I am wondering if the original NA firmware doesn't offer the additional map customization choices that EScout and I have on our units (I think EScout uses a 500). If you are feeling mildly adventurous, you may want to track down a version of the 210 European firmware without the EU basemap to see if that gives you more map options.

First of all, thanks for the help. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I don't get that option.

I'm wondering if you need a firmware update. What version do you have on there? (Since I have a 500, I'm not certain this is the issue...but I am pretty sure that since the 2.xx firmwares came out, it should work like Escout described.)

Tip for everyone: Remove the InvisibleShield before sending the unit to Magellan. When I sent my 400 in to Magellan, I didn't know if I was going to get a new unit or just get the same old one back with the screen problem fixed. I contacted InvisibleShield explaining my situation and they agreed to send me a replacement under warranty. To use their warranty, you pay something like $3 and have to send back the used/damaged shield.

I wrote a note to Magellan's repair folks noting the presence of the Invisible Shield. I also said I'd be billing them if I didn't get it back.

I specifically asked if the unit would be replaced entirely or repaired. Was told it would be repaired. When I later checked the status, I was told it was repaired, not replaced.

Got back a new unit sans Shield. While that's nice that they replaced the unit entirely, they disregarded my note and didn't tell me the truth.

I already ordered another Shield before I read this. :-(

As for your Geocache POI name problem, were you running a different firmware version on your old 210? I am wondering if the original NA firmware doesn't offer the additional map customization choices that EScout and I have on our units (I think EScout uses a 500). If you are feeling mildly adventurous, you may want to track down a version of the 210 European firmware without the EU basemap to see if that gives you more map options.

My 210 says that the firmware is 3.1.75 (dated August 30, 2005) with a NA background map of 1.12.

I understand new firmware is out for Europe, but not NA.

Still, I was able to clear the cache names while retaining the cache icons on my last unit and I believe it had this same firmware version. It's driving me crazy that I can't remember the sequence for doing so! :-(