Sanyo SCP-7050 and GeocacheNavigator

I just purchased the Sprint Sanyo SCP-7050 which has a stand-alone GPS. I also just downloaded the GeocacheNavigator program for the phone. Whenever I try to use the program, I get the following error:

"Failed to connect to server. Please try again. (MC1100) null"

I read in another thread that a similar message meant that the person didn't have a data plan set up on the account or that something wasn't configured correctly on the provider's end (in this case, Sprint).

Now, I don't have a Sprint data plan. I was hoping that I could use the SCP-7050 with it's stand-alone GPS and the GeocacheNavigator software without needing such a plan. After all, the GPS is supposed to work off the Sprint network, and to be honest, I'm not overly concerned about topo and other maps (which are downloaded via Sprint's data network). I mainly want the compass and other location data only.

Am I screwed here? Will my scheme work? Will I need to subscribe to a Sprint data plan in order to use the GeocacheNavigator software? Is there alternative software for my phone available?

Thanks!

Ok, the software finially worked. There must have been some lag time from when I "purchased"/downloaded it to when it became "active".

There aren't any maps (which, for me, is fine) but everything else works. I'll continue the experiment and see what my bill ends up being. :anibad:

I just got off the phone with Rebecca at Trimble (she was extremely helpful!). Apparently, a Sprint data plan IS required since cache info is downloaded from www.geocaching.com. I was able to get some cache info earlier without a data plan, but I'm sure I'll be charged the per/kB download rate. Oh well, live and learn, no problem.

She also informed me that they are working with Sprint for approval of "Trimble Outdoors Silver" for use on the SCP-7050. I guess it will work on other phones, but not the one I have... YET! The software will do what I want (with a one-time fee, not a subscription) but Sprint is dragging their heels.

So close yet so far away! Time to call Sprint to see if they have any info.

Edited by MN-Paradox