Bluetooth GPS on PocketPC

Genix

I have an i-Blue 737 BT GPS. I have it set up for COM2 and I can not get it to work correctly. I have tried it with GPS Tuner, GPS Gate, OziExplorer, iGuidance and Google Maps and it will not work with any of them. The only program it works with is Tom Tom 6. I had each program set to look at COM2. Any ideas?

My PPC is a HTC Hermes (Cingular 8525) if that makes a difference.

I have an i-Blue 737 BT GPS. I have it set up for COM2 and I can not get it to work correctly. I have tried it with GPS Tuner, GPS Gate, OziExplorer, iGuidance and Google Maps and it will not work with any of them. The only program it works with is Tom Tom 6. I had each program set to look at COM2. Any ideas?

My PPC is a HTC Hermes (Cingular 8525) if that makes a difference.

I'll admit that I know a lot more about HTC products that I about geocacheing. I'm just getting into this addiction, lol.

Setup

1. Open Bluetooth Manager by clicking on Bluetooth Manager icon.

2. In Mode tab, Please check Turn On Bluetooth.

3. In Devices tab, click on New Partnership to begin pairing of devices.

4. Click on the device found and click Next.

5. Enter BT passkey and click Next.

6. Check the Serial Port box and click Finish.

7. In COM Ports tab, click on New Outgoing Port.

8. Do not check Secure connection.

9. Tap Next when the new found device appeared and highlighted.

10. Select com port that is allowed by your PDA (ie COM7) and Click Finish.

11. Open your GPS software and select the same port. Data rate should be 4800.

Other issues

1. Unless you’re willing to hack your Hermes and flash the ROM with new software only one program can access the GPS COM at a time.

2. The Hermes will automatically disconnect your BT connection to the GPS if you are not actively moving. This may vary with different BT devices, but its a power management issue. I have an i.Trek M5 and i lose the connection after 3 minutes of being stationary. It can be corrected by changing a couple registry settings in your Hermes. If you’re into tinkering with your Hermes all the info you need will be at www.xda-devolpers.com.

Other issues

1. Unless you’re willing to hack your Hermes and flash the ROM with new software only one program can access the GPS COM at a time.

I suspect that the advice in the above thread is going to solve the maladies of the OP, but I just have one clarification.

Since you say only one program can access at a time, I assume it is a WM2003 or earlier device. If that is the case, then won't Franson GPSGate (sorry, too lazy to link, you'll have to google) solve the problem?

Edited by Steel City Seekers