Mapping SW

mike909

Ok, just got my 60Csx and as I suspected, 100% useless without paying more $ for maps. Not a big surprise, but just want to get some opinions before I lay it out...

I've decided to go with City Navigator NT for my road trips and think that will do me just fine. For when I go hiking, however, I believe I need one of the TOPO software packages. I understand the topo24K is only good for National Parks, so I'm going with the regular TOPO...but here is my questions:

I have a very old ver. of mapsource/topo from at least 5 years ago (old gps, never used it much). I am able to update my mapsource no problem, but am wondering...do I really need the newest ver. of TOPO? How much does the earth actually change, or is it just POI's that they add? I'm just trying to get a better idea of what I will be getting if I shell out the extra $ for the TOPO upgrade. (my current version is TOPO West, data version: 2.00) When I compare the maps to the sample ones on garmins website they look similiar..i'm wondering if they have changed at all even.

Yes, you can use the Topo you have (no extra cost). Topo doesn't change often, in fact what you have is probably the latest available.

A 2GB card, Premier Membership, and GSAK are your next steps to really get all the perks that the 60CSx and that software affords for caching.

Ok, just got my 60Csx and as I suspected, 100% useless without paying more $ for maps. Not a big surprise, but just want to get some opinions before I lay it out...

I've decided to go with City Navigator NT for my road trips and think that will do me just fine. For when I go hiking, however, I believe I need one of the TOPO software packages. I understand the topo24K is only good for National Parks, so I'm going with the regular TOPO...but here is my questions:

I have a very old ver. of mapsource/topo from at least 5 years ago (old gps, never used it much). I am able to update my mapsource no problem, but am wondering...do I really need the newest ver. of TOPO? How much does the earth actually change, or is it just POI's that they add? I'm just trying to get a better idea of what I will be getting if I shell out the extra $ for the TOPO upgrade. (my current version is TOPO West, data version: 2.00) When I compare the maps to the sample ones on garmins website they look similiar..i'm wondering if they have changed at all even.

AFAIK they have not updated their topo maps. Mine has data version 2.01 on the east and west, 3.01 on Alaska and Hawaii. Save your money and use what you have!

Cool, thanks. That's what I figured. I have some other questions about the unit, but I will do some searching first and possibly open a new thread. So far though....Seems like a great little unit. And, yes, unless I feel like changing the maps around all the time I will probably need to purchase a bigger MicroSD card. Thanks again.

Cool, thanks. That's what I figured. I have some other questions about the unit, but I will do some searching first and possibly open a new thread. So far though....Seems like a great little unit. And, yes, unless I feel like changing the maps around all the time I will probably need to purchase a bigger MicroSD card. Thanks again.

I had a 60CS for about 3 years. I recently sold it and bought a 60CSx and it is the Shizznit!! I bought a 2gb card and put all the USA City Nav maps, and a big chunk of Topos, along with some other maps.

I don't see a reason to change maps until we take a trip to Europe or someplace!

The garmin 1:100K topo product has not been updated for several years, but there are rumors that a 1:24K topo product with full US coverage is on it's way. That's going to be great, but I suspect I'll have to upgrade my aging GPSMAP-76 to something with more than 8MB of memory to use it!

Edited by scotte

The garmin 1:100K topo product has not been updated for several years, but there are rumors that a 1:24K topo product with full US coverage is on it's way. That's going to be great, but I suspect I'll have to upgrade my aging GPSMAP-76 to something with more than 8MB of memory to use it!

Might I inquire as to the source of the rumor? I would really like to have more info on that.