WTB: Starter GPS Units

I work with a program that services high risk youth. WE are ALWAYS looking for new and different ideas for recreation. I thought maybe I could get some entry level units and hide some caches for them to find. I don't know that I'd want them to know about the greater caching community as some of them tend to be a tad destructive, maybe I could term is orienteering or something, but this way they would be outside and be forced to work as a team to get something accomplished....anyone want to sell something that could be used for purposes such as this? I would be buying the units out of my own pocket and letting the program use them for now as they have a limited budget, so please be kind... thanks in advance.

Hi there. I have some experience in dealing with troubled youth and I think your program idea is great but I would be surprised if some how the units didn't get "lost" in the woods. A better solution to the problem might be to teach them how to use a compass and map. The concept is not hard and any reputable outdoors store would be happy to give you a crash course in map use.

In a nutshell you could tell the kids to hide along a set route until they find a way point in the woods (say a large painted sign or board with a hole punch tied to it for marking their cards). From there they can navigate to the next way point. Each way point will have directions to the next.

A decent compass is only $20

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?top...vcat=REI_SEARCH

Well I hope that helps. Your a brave person to work with those the rest of us have written off. Good Luck.

Cheers,

Christopher.