Magellan GPS Companion and Cachemate

jjmcwill

I've been playing around with a Megallan GPS Companion plugged into my Handspring Visor while I wait for my Lowrance Ifinder H2O to arrive.

The Magellan Nav Companion software works fine. When using other nav software, such as the GPS plugin for cachemate, the GPS seems to shut down after 15 seconds or so.

Here's my sequence of steps I'm trying to perform:

Load .GPX files into Cachemate with cmconvert

In the field, launch nav companion to obtain a satellite fix.

Switch to Cachemate.

Select a cache.

Click the NAV button

Up pops the Cachemate GPS plugin. FOr a short time, it will show bearing and distance to the cache.

After 10 or 15 seconds, the status at the top will switch from "3D" or "2D" to "No GPS".

At this point, I have to relaunch Nav Companion and reobtain a fix with the satellites. It doesn't take long (a couple of seconds).

The same thing happens with I've tried the Cetus GPS software. It would work for 10 or 15 seconds and then report "No GPS".

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

An update.

I still have not figured out why the GPS receiver shuts down after 10 or 15 seconds when I'm trying to use the GPS feature of Cetus GPS or Cachemate.

However, my whole reason for trying to use either of those program features in the first place was because I didn't know of an easy, reliable way of transferring Waypoints into the Magellan Nav Companion program.

Today I discovered that gpsbabel can group one or more .gpx input files and output in "magnav" format. This format creates a .pdb file that can be synced to the PDA and appears as waypoints in Nav Companion.

It works quite well.

My Lowrance ifinder h2o arrived today, so I won't be using the PDA/GPS Companion for navigation very often. However, it's a workable (albeit not very rugged) backup in case I want to invite a friend along. Knowing how to get waypoints into and out of the device REALLY HELPS.

I also have to admit, it's kinda nice having Cachemate and the GPS in one physical unit instead of having to carry both my PDA and my GPS receiver.

I can't believe an AFFORDABLE, ruggedized PDA doesn't exist in the market. I'm aware of the TDS Recon, but that guy runs $1,500.00

Jeff