500LE Power problem

Rye_n_Coke

I've got a new Magellan 500LE and I'm having some problems with the unit shutting itself off in a strange way. Occasionally the unit will just lock up and shut down. By this I mean that sometimes it seems every 2nd line or so on the display will fade out, followed by the rest of the lines, and finally the unit turns off. I've seen this with fresh alkaline batteries as well as freshly charged NiMH batteries.

I think I've come accross this about 5 times. The first 3 times I had a GOTO enabled and thought it might be a software bug related to that. I've since updated the firmware but have seen this happen now even without a GOTO enabled. I get no warning about battery life or about the unit shutting down, it just dies. I can turn it on again and continue using it, but the sporatic power downs are frustrating.

Has anyone else come accross this issue with a 500LE or any other Magellan unit?

-Thanks.

I wanted this back up at the top as I've now started using a Li-Ion battery and am still seeing this issue.

I THINK it only happens when I hit the nav button to change screens but since the problem doesn't show up too often its tough to say what the root cause is.

Anyone else seeing this?