GPSMap60c

B.J.S.

Can anyone tell me what map software I need for the GPS60c. I believe City Navigator won’t work and I need City Select.

Either product will work, you just can't load as many maps with City Nav. City Nav is the more recent release and presumably contains updated information. If you have the 60c you have 56 mb map memory which cannot be expanded.

Edited to note that this applies to the GPSMAP60c. The GPS60 does not support mapping. There is no GPS60c so I don't know which one you're talking about.

Edited by media601

Can anyone tell me what map software I need for the GPS60c. I believe City Navigator won’t work and I need City Select.

Either product will work, you just can't load as many maps with City Nav. City Nav is the more recent release and presumably contains updated information. If you have the 60c you have 56 mb map memory which cannot be expanded.

Edited to note that this applies to the GPSMAP60c. The GPS60 does not support mapping. There is no GPS60c so I don't know which one you're talking about.

Sorry, GPSMap60c is what I'm talking about.

It is all about the size of the map tiles. City Select had tiny little tiles, so you could easily customize the area you want to load. City Nav. ver. 7 had huge map tiles, so you ended up with big chunks of data that didn't fit too well into the 56MB memory.

I understand that CN ver. 8 has smaller tiles (although not as small as City Select). I just got CN 8 for a friend for Christmas, but haven't opened the present yet to see their size.

All of these titles will work in the 60C (which is the unit I use). It is just that some are more user friendly than others.

City select is nice, and has great maps for major centers, but the maps outside of major cities are not that hot.

I personnally use Metroguide in my GPSMAP60C. The 56meg may seem small but I loaded the detailed maps of the entire province of Ontario with full POI database and have a little room left.

The autorouting works great, I use it often. Watch out for the battery usage, if you are using backlight you'll only get 3 -4 hours out of a set, its better with the more expensive alkalines, but you can get cheap ones from discount stores, ( we buy ours from a Store Called Giant tiger, we get 24 for the cost of 4 duracells). The cheap ones give about 3 hours with backlight on, and about 20 hours normal use with backlight off. Dracells gave me about 4 hours with backlight and about 22 - 24 with light off.

I bought the car kit and use NiMh now.

Good luck

jamie