slippeddisk

PID Reference Object Distance Geod. Az |

JW1420| dddmmss.s |

JW1420| TRIMBLE AZ MK 0765048.6 |

JW1420| TRIMBLE RM 1 28.910 METERS 08539 |

JW1420| JW1423 BDRY MON NR STA TRIMBLE 1935 6.100 METERS 08540 |

JW1420| TRIMBLE RM 2 18.427 METERS 20109 |

JW1420|---------------------------------------------------------------------|

In the above box score, is it indicating that JW1423 is the old state line boundry monument?

I went after JW1420 today and found the station, RM#1 and the old state line monument which if

I'm reading this right is JW1423. You comments please.

In the above box score, is it indicating that JW1423 is the old state line boundry monument?
Yes.

My comments are:

1. It would be excellent if you could upload a 'distant' picture of the state line monument JW1423 and a photo of the markings on the VA side (if any).

2. Your picture in your log of JW1420 called "State Line" appears to me to be a highway Right Of Way (ROW) marker. Its top is probably inscribed "VDH". One of those is in my front yard.

3. It would be quite interesting to look for the AZ mark using the GPSr measuring idea proposed by 2oldfarts and a great coup to find it! It's unfortunate that the box score doesn't have a distance to the AZ mark more accurate than the 0.4 mile distance mentioned in the box score. The "30-inch apple tree" sounds incredibe. The gravel road and even the fence might be there to use in finding the AZ mark. Your report should include whether or not you searched for the AZ mark.

4. The boundary monument JW1423 could be waymarked in the U.S. Historic Survey Stones and Monuments category.

5. It would be very good to post a 'distant' picture of JW1420 in its log like you did for RM1.

The concrete post in the picture of JW1420 is a 3 sided monument. It has no markings at all on it. It is right across from the state line monument (old). There were no markings on the VA side of the state line monument. The two that I have seen in the last few days are the same. Thanks for you comments and advice on my log. Going out in the field is great fun for me but as in everything I do I have to work on the "paper work"aspect. I'll keep reading the forum posts and get the hang of it. Thanks again.

Edited by slippeddisk