What's the better deal?

brotherjo

I am buying my first unit and have the opportunity for one of these deals:

Garmin Legend with Mapsource TOPO CD-ROM - $160 after rebate

-or-

Garmin Legend Cx - $180 after rebate

-or-

Garmin Venture Cx - $140 after rebate

is the TOPO Software enough to make a big deal, or is it something that is a little unnecessary for geocaching given the basemap already installed?

I'm sure I'd be pleased with the performance of either, but with all the rebates I'd like to know the better deal, in you opinion of course.

Just don't want to kick myself later. Thanks

-or-

-or-

is the TOPO Software enough to make a big deal, or is it something that is a little unnecessary for geocaching given the basemap already installed?

I'm sure I'd be pleased with the performance of either, but with all the rebates I'd like to know the better deal, in you opinion of course.

The VentureCX is basically the LegendCX shipped without the miniUSB cable and microSD chip. If you already have the cable the VentureCX is the best deal in my opinion because most people upgrade the microSD chip anyway. If you are starting from scratch the LegendCX may be the way to go. I would not bother with the basic Legend because 1) B&W and 2) no upgradable memory. I have never used the topo maps but I find CitySelect or CityNav indispensible.

The above comments are my personal opinions and do not necessarily relflect the opinions of geocaching.com or anyone else. :cry:

just compared them on garmin.com, looks like the venture cx is a better deal. I think I have usb cables out the wazoo at the house and microSD cards are cheap cheap cheap at Fry's.

other than that they look the same. Thanks for the heads up, and I guess dumb luck that it's the cheapest of the 3 deals.

Wow!

I'm just getting started also, and am trying to find a good deal on a Garmin unit. Do you mind sharing with me where you've found such good prices?

Thanks!

Larry

-or-

-or-