Garmin 12 Map won't conect to new Computer?

manuelcasi

I have a (yes I know it's old) Garmin 12 map. It conects with an old serial port conection but my new computer does not have a serial port? So I went and got a serial to usb cable but it is not finding the GPS with my mapsource softwear? I tried every com port they list and tried the auto find button nothing works? I know the usb port is good becuase my mp3 player works with it. Any Ideas what could be wrong?

Install drivers first then connect. Get drivers here:

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_det...id=591#Instruct

From the Garmin site:

Q. I am using a USB to Serial Converter Cable to connect my unit to my PC and still cannot connect. What might be the problem?

A. What brand or manufacturer of cable are you using? Each brand requires it?s own special setup or drivers in order to create the virtual communications port. Check with your cable vendor or manufacturer to ensure proper installation of your cable drivers. If this is a Garmin cable, then you can use the CD that comes with the cable or contact Garmin Product Support for replacement drivers. Garmin cables require specific drivers to be installed and they will show up in your Device Manager under "ports" as a Serial to USB Port Com ?x?. When checking your port settings on your cable, MapSource and the Updater programs will only recognize ports 1 through 8.

Not a lot of help but - don't use a hub (if you are); connect directly to the computer's USB port.