problems with easyGPS | USB-to-Serial

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend. I know the gps data cable is good; I've used it on a computer with a serial connection before. but with my new computer (running windows XP Tablet edition) I can't get waypoints to transfer either way. I'm using a Prolific USB-to-Serial cable. I've installed the drivers and everything and i thought the settings were right but apparentally not.my settings right now are

Bits per second: 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: None

I'm using FIFO buffers (both on high)

and COM Port 1

Edited by cach register

COM1 ????

Sometimes that is main problem...... If you have any PDA sync software installed and running it takes over COM 1 and will not let any other device use COM 1....

Check "Control Panel" and see if PROLIFIC adapter actually comes up on COM 1. Many times Serial/USB adapters come up on COM 5 or 6...

Go >>> Control Panel >> Hardware >> Device Manager >> PORTS...

When you plug adapter in it will come up as something like "Prolific USB to Serial Adapter COMM6".... IF it is installed properly ( drivers you know).

Other possible solutions may be found here...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2554711

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

I have a USB/serial cable bridge connecting my etrex Garmin to computer and use EasyGPS software for downloading waypoints. In the sofware preferences I have chosen to connect via USB port. If Comm 1 port is chosen it won't work. Also, for some reason on some computers the USB port doesn't recognise the GPS until AFTER it is turned on and only THEN plugged into the computer.