Couple of quick questions (eXplorist 400/500 and Topp 3D)

junkwood

Hello all,

I'm planning to buy a handheld GPS for Christmas. I think geocaching with my two sons is going to be a blast! I can't wait! Anyway, I've done some research and think I've narrowed it down to the eXplorist 400 or the 500. My questions are as follows:

1: On Magellens site they have the two units priced the same yet one has a color display and the other doesn't. I did a side by side comparison on their site and as far as I can tell they are identical with the exception of the color display. Online, the 400 (greyscale) is typically more expensive! Why is this? Does the 400 have features that the 500 doesn't?

2: How useful is the Topo 3D dvd with these small handhelds? I'll be using the unit primarily for outdoorsy stuff. I'm not really concerned with the "streets and trips" type stuff.

Thanks!

Edited by junkwood

Magellan recently dropped the price of the 500. I don't know why; it is odd to see it the same as the 400. If it was only a matter of having surplus stock, I would expect to see sales or promotions, but not a reduced list price. Who would want a 400 with that price structure?

Topo3D is pretty good, and quite useful...especially in color. You can see map detail with the Magellan Webviewer (Internet Explorer advised; Firefox still doesn't work well with the page).

Magellan recently dropped the price of the 500. I don't know why; it is odd to see it the same as the 400. If it was only a matter of having surplus stock, I would expect to see sales or promotions, but not a reduced list price. Who would want a 400 with that price structure?

I agree. I thought I was missing something! And to further confuse things, I've just recently seen some 400's on ebay bundled with a 256meg SD card and the Topo 3D software for around $165 (Buy Now Price). "Supposedly" new and not refurbs. The really odd thing about that (to me anyway) is that I know whole seller cost on a new 400 w/o the card and Topo is more than that. Or at least with a vendor I deal with that carries GPSr devices (I have a small computer shop).

At any rate, I think the 500 is the one then. Before I purchase this any last minute recomendations for a unit in the 500's price range that is a much better buy?

Thanks for the replies!

I have the 600 (that uses the same color screen as the 500) and having started first with a 400, I highly recommend the color screen. It isn't very reflective, but the gray screen forces you to use the backlight ALL the time. The color screens allow you to use minimal backlight in all conditions except super bright daylight. Just my couple cents there. Good luck!

Hybridgeek