GPS 315

I could use some help with a Magellan GPS 315. A friend asked me to look at his 315 because it isn't picking up any sats.

I have initialized it a few times as well as updated the firmware to the latest version. It still isn't seeing any sats. I even tried plugging in the current coordinates.

Anyone out there with any suggestions?

Thanks

John

I don't have much expirience with older gps, but you should try a user reset and possibly find the key combo to do a force reset (will delete P.O.I.s, detail maps, etc.). If this doesn't work, take the gps to a repair shop.

I used a GPS300 (a very similar model), and they are not very sensitive. Mine would take up to ten minutes to get an initial fix, and woud be next to useless on really overcast days. Using really fresh alkaline batteries seemed to help a bit.

I don't have much expirience with older gps, but you should try a user reset and possibly find the key combo to do a force reset (will delete P.O.I.s, detail maps, etc.). If this doesn't work, take the gps to a repair shop.

I used a GPS300 (a very similar model), and they are not very sensitive. Mine would take up to ten minutes to get an initial fix, and woud be next to useless on really overcast days. Using really fresh alkaline batteries seemed to help a bit.

the gps 300 wasnt a close relative of the 315/320/330 family. the gps 310 was a relative of the 315 etc, the gps 300 wasnt a 12 channel parallel unit and was far below the 12 chan units such as the 315/320/330.

as for the orginal posters 315, it could be a couple of things. assuming you have given it enough time to initialize(~10-15 minutes), it might be worth your while to do a system check by pressing: MENU; <RIGHT>; <LEFT>; <RIGHT>. there are options here to check the flash, display etc. failing that, it is also possible that the backup battery has failed and that has caused some units to cease functioning. you can access some of the undocumented tech stuff at gpsinformation.net.