Newbie here about to buy 1st GPSr (iWay 100M) opinions wanted...

Hi group!

After tagging along on my first ever geocaching experience on a camping rally a few weeks ago (loved it!) my wife and I have decided we want to purcahse a GPSr and join the fun (my 5 y.o. son had a blast doing it too!)

To make a long story short, we would like to buy a "double-duty" unit for geocaching AND in-car navigation (to help with simply driving to a cache site and also help navigationg when we follow our other passion, camping with our pop-up camper!) I have been "lurking" on this board for the past week reading your helpful and thoughtful opinions and reviews of the various models. The new color-screen models with the SiRF III chips are beautiful, but out of my budget right now (and probably WAY more GPSr than I need for my first one!)

After *MUCH* reading, studying, and price-searching, I think I have found our perfect fit. The poor discontinued (and misunderstood with an identity crisis?) Lowrance iWay 100M. I found it brand-new shipped for $139. For not much more than a "basic" no-frills GPSr we can enjoy mapping and voice turn-by-turn.

I am going to order very soon - but thought I would "pop" out of lurk mode just to here if any of you (VERY helpful) veterans have any words of advice, encouragement, or caveats for me.

THANKS. I hope to become a contributing participant here.

-Scoobmaster

Overall, I'd offer encouragement. It appears to be a Lowrance H20 that can do voice-assisted routing -- it is even IPX7 waterproof. For such a handheld that includes maps at $130, I'd say it is a pretty good deal.

Two caveats I can think of. One, I've read in the past where the receiver eats batteries quickly. Not so much of a concern if you use rechargeables, but be sure to carry some extras. Two, the maps are probably a bit outdated, and it's pretty clear Lowrance doesn't intend to offer anything newer. I wonder if they're Navteq. If so, they should still be pretty good, but eventually . . .

Based on experience with my B&W Lowrance versus a large-screen color PDA, the screen could be a bit cumbersome to look at while driving, but this will be pretty much the same with any of the handheld units. At least it adds voice guidance, which is a very big benefit. I can navigate based on the voice guidance alone with my PDA.

I think I read -- maybe someone else can confirm -- that the iway 100 will also run the newer non-routing, but topo MapCreate software, which would be a plus if you want to upgrade off-road capability.

You might want to look at a Garmin 60C. This is a slightly older model without the SirfIII chip and without the compass. It will auto route and work well off road. it should be available for a pretty good price. You will want to find City Select 6 or 7 so you can auto route. It would be best if you can find a bundled deal since this software is becoming scarce in favor of the newer more memory hungry City Navigator.

Thanks for the responses.

Well - I "pulled the trigger". A brand new iWay 100M will be headed my way. My 1st GPSr - I can't wait to try it out.

Steel City Seekers: (cool name, BTW - I'm a Steelers fan!) I have a HUGE supply of AA NiMH rechargeables at my disposal (for my other "toys") so I have the battery angle covered. Based on my research, the maps ARE Navteq (someone who owned both an iFinder H2O and the iWay 100M posted that the street maps on the 100M looked BETTER than the ones from the iFinder H2O/Mapcreate TOPO 6.3 - albeit without any TOPO). AFAIK it WILL accept maps made with mapcreate 6.3 TOPO or future versions, but those maps would NOT have voice turn-by-turn or autorouting capability. I don't intend to even ATTEMPT to look at the screen while driving. Most of the time my wife (and faithful navigator) will be with me and using the GPS. For those few occasions when I will be alone - well, that's why the voice prompt is nice!

ossumguywill: Thanks for your input. Believe me - if price was not a big concern, I'd be ordering either a Garmin GSMAP 60Csx or a Magellan eXplorist XL (and then the appropriate map software). Sadly, price IS a huge factor, so the best bang for my limited buck is coming via the iWay 100M.

Thanks again,

-Scoob

Edited by Scoobmaster

Well, it certainly sounds like you have done your research and covered your bases. So, I think you arrived at a pretty good solution that will work well for you.

As an aside/clarification: the streets in Lowrance's topo (Lowrance proprietary) are different than Navteq guidance because they are from different sources. Navteq's street-level data is much, much more accurate in my experience. On the other hand, Lowrance's topo, available only with the newer MapCreate 6.3 contains a great deal of information for streams, small bodies of water, hunting (public) places, etc. I've found these off-road details to be very accurate.

Airmapper didn't self-advertise, but I'd strongly suggest checking out his Lowrance User's Guide -- see link in his sig. Lots of info. on setting up your Lowrance and a great place to hang out with other cool people that made a wise purchase decision.

And, one more thing: GO STEELERS!

So in conclusion based on what Steel City Seekers just added:

My version of the "Holy Grail" of GPS receivers would be a new COLOR version of the iWay 100M (let's say with the gorgeous new screen from the iFinder expedition c), the SiRFIII chip, quad-helix antenna, the street maps with data from Navteq combined with Topo maps from Lowrance data, and voice-prompted turn-by-turn with autorouting. Maybe throw in a direct PC link in addition to the SD card reader (just as "icing" on the cake). Make the bundle available for under $400 MSRP for the whole package.

Any chance we'll see that out soon? Hmmmm. i didn't think so...:laughing:

So I will just learn to be happy with my 100M for the time being :unsure:

Edited by Scoobmaster

I have an iWay 100M. Some comments:

1) While battery life is not as good as the iFinder GO (another GPS I have notorious for incredible battery life) it is better than most GPSr's. I have not seen a battery meter on this unit for some reason.

2) Topo maps will work with the 100M. And the regular maps are Navteq and not too outdated (though they won't be updated either).

3) Satellite reception in tree cover without an external antenna is so-so.

4) If you're going to do voice and turn by turn, I advise you go to www.lei-extras.com and order a 2nd "cigarette lighter" 12V adapter with speaker. That is the ONLY way to get the voice prompts, and since I don't think their later iWay units do it this way, the day may come where the only way to get one if it breaks is hope someone has one on eBay.

5) While you can technically use it for caching, it is not a perfect "caching" GPSr. It lacks a "compass rose" (screen that tells you what direction "as the crow flies" the waypoint is), and unlike most of the iFinder series, it does not show distance in feet when you get close, just fractions of miles. Albeit, it does go down to being as little as 0.01 mile away, which is 52.8 ft and about the "final search radius" for most caches.

There are few if any units that perfectly double as both a car and hiking/off-road GPS, if there was I wouldn't own two units. But I will say the iWay 100M does come close. Good luck!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Thanks for the response, HaLiJuSaPa!

I owe you some thanks - I read several of your posts here while doing my research and agonizing over making a choice. I believe you wrote one of the reviews I read at epinions.com as well. I may pick up a "spare" power converter/speaker while they are still available - good advice.

I am aware of the lack of the "compass rose" and knew that at the time I placed my order. I will simply use the map screen customized with some useful info (a method another user here outlined in a different older Lowrance thread). I am going to wait and see how my specific unit performs without an external antenna first. If it seems inadequate, I will pick up on of those inexpensive Glisson ones from eBay.

Again, thanks for your comments and past postings - they have been informative and helpful

-Scoob (new member of the Lowrance GPS users club)

Thanks for the response, HaLiJuSaPa!

I owe you some thanks - I read several of your posts here while doing my research and agonizing over making a choice. I believe you wrote one of the reviews I read at epinions.com as well. I may pick up a "spare" power converter/speaker while they are still available - good advice.

I am aware of the lack of the "compass rose" and knew that at the time I placed my order. I will simply use the map screen customized with some useful info (a method another user here outlined in a different older Lowrance thread). I am going to wait and see how my specific unit performs without an external antenna first. If it seems inadequate, I will pick up on of those inexpensive Glisson ones from eBay.

Again, thanks for your comments and past postings - they have been informative and helpful

-Scoob (new member of the Lowrance GPS users club)

You're very welcome, we (especially "Ha") love maps, navigation and now GPS and love to help others enjoy them too!