Signal

VT-METAL-VT

The etrex series requires the unit to be held flat with the antenna facing up for optimal reception. If you can afford it go for the 60Cx or 60CSx which has the SirfIII chip and then you can pretty much hold the gps in any position you like and you will still get great reception.

FYI...for optimal reception the 60 series should have the antenna pointing up :)

I can explain the problem you're having. The eTrex line of receivers uses a patch antenna. The patch antenna works best when facing straight up. For your eTrex to work best, you need to hold it so the screen is facing up toward the sky. When you're using the belt clip or lanyard, the eTrex is likely oriented vertically so the antenna is not at its best orientation for receiving the GPS signal.

Tall buildings pose a problem for all GPS receivers due to the GPS signal being reflected by the buildings, referred to as multipath.

Edit - And I see moonpup came up with a response a couple minutes quicker than me.

Edited by geognerd

Hi! I'm new here! I've a like new etrex vista but the reception is not good when i use the belt clip and when use the lanyard...and sometimes lost the signal.....to have a better reception also in the little streets with high buildings what i have to buy?

thx! :)

I use the eTrex Vista face up on my handlebars and rarely loose signal for more than a couple seconds. The only time I loose signal for more than a few feet is on the north side of steep hills AND with thick foilage. Even then it's intermittent.

A big city with tall buidings all around is a problem with any receiver. Hold the eTrex face up and a little away from you (to not block signal with yourself). While looking at the satellite page, try to find a spot where you can get a better signal from lots of satellites by turning around and moving to clearer areas. Once you lock on some satellites, the GPS will often be able to contine to hold it in weaker locations where it couldn't get reception before. I've been able to tet the eTrex to work in SF with extra care as mentioned.

In all these cases, hold the eTrex face up, when hiking or geocaching, I mount the GPS on my hiking pole face up, or hold it in my hand looking at it face down, with it away from my body a little bit so I don't block signal - sort of like reading a book.

I also have a 60CSx and it gets a signal just about anywhere in any way. I use it for making more detailed tracks without breaks on rides, and for it's bigger screen for geocaching. But I don't find the accuracy is much better. And even in occasional bad reception areas, I can usually get the eTrex to get a signal if positioned right. A minor annoyance but it works. Even though the 60CSx is much better reception, I still use my eTrex Vista on the bars because it's more rugged for my tough riding. The Vista works very well for me in the trees of Northern California. There's some occasional drops, but it does pretty well overall.

The etrex series requires the unit to be held flat with the antenna facing up for optimal reception. If you can afford it go for the 60Cx or 60CSx which has the SirfIII chip and then you can pretty much hold the gps in any position you like and you will still get great reception.

FYI...for optimal reception the 60 series should have the antenna pointing up :)

how about runtime batteries of the 60csx...i'm interested in it! :)