Etrex or Go2

Disclaimer - Of the two units being discussed, I have only used the yellow eTrex.

However, I will say that when reading Lowrance's product page for the GO2 I didn't see any mention of computer connectivity. Lee Rimar started a topic with some information about how you can connect the GO2 to your computer and load waypoints. Check that topic out to see if you understand it. I found it confusing and would go for the eTrex and EasyGPS for simplicity's sake.

The cable for the GO2 and eTrex are an additional cost and something to remember when pricing things out. Of course, if you don't plan on caching that often and have no problem with entering a few sets of coordinates manually, the computer connectivity issue is moot. If you want the computer connectivity, you might want to consider the Garmin eTrex Legend, which comes with the cable, has 8MB of memory for maps, and costs about US$120.

There are other handhelds out there that can do more, but of course they cost more.

I own both an eTrex Summit (yellow eTrex with compass + barometric altimeter) and an iFinder GO (GO2 with half the memory and less features on the base map).

I'd recommend the eTrex, although the iFinder GO is a great unit:

1. PC connectivity

2. Popularity

3. Easier to learn interface

As geognerd pointed out, there is a way to transfer waypoints from your PC to the iFinder GO/GO2, but it's a "hack" and it's also limited, since the same can't be done for routes and tracks, and there's no known way to transfer them the other way around. The GO/GO2 does have a base map (major highways, roads, and POIs are listed), but then so does the eTrex Legend which isn't priced much higher from these two units.

i have used both units because my geography teacher had us use his gps units which were etrexs but between your picks i would get the etrex mainly because usb connection is a big plus saves your fingers and if u wish to chage your map you may do as you please i started with a magellan 100 i didnt like it neither did i like the yellow etrex mainly because i couldnt tell where the arrow was pointing but i now use a 210 and its still a little crazy with mapsend o well for my next gps i think i will move on to a garmin60 somthing u can also see ratings on gps units at amazon.com just look up the models u wish to buy ant you can check the reviews to decide for yourself thats wut made me get the 210

I realize that "none of the above" wasn't an option, but that's my recommendation.

If you're a geocacher, you're going to want to connect your GPS to a computer to transfer waypoints. Add the cost of the cable to either of those units and you're sneaking up n the price of an Explorist 210 that includes the cable and - unlike the others - not only comes with a basemap, but can have detail maps uploaded AND be upgraded to do turn-by-turn driving directions. It's an entry-level unit with an upgrade path which isn't true with the others.

(FlagFinder, yellow etrex doesn't have USB.)

Hi, we're new to geocaching and are torn between 2 GPS units, as we're not sure which is better for this purpose. Does anyone have any opinions on which would be the best to buy, either a Garmin Etrex or an Ifinder Go2? Thanks!

I helped my wife shop for my last Christmas present and bought an iFinder Go2 GPSr - in November. Then had to wait for Christmas! :D

I did not find the Go2 very user friendly and had a difficult time navigating through menus and figuring out settings. Also figured out that a computer interface was going to be desireable, for multiple reasons. Returned it and bought the blue Garmin eTrex Legend. I've been very happy with it. Would be happier with a Garmin 60C SX, but for the price difference I guess I'll be happy with the Legend a while longer.

JohnTee