Mapsend V1.0 download problems

Hi there, I've got Mapsend Topo V1.0 that came with my explorist 210. I'm connected fine to the 210 and can see it's storage as a drive on my laptop with the directories. However, when I try to send a region of area using Mapsend, it looks like it is trying to communicate using Com1 or Com3 and says it can not find a device. I can't find any where in Mapsend where I can change to the USB port since it is not showing up on the list. Has anyone had a similar problem. If so, what did you do.

Help! - Thanks! - Eric

First, a minor point that might avoid potential confusion in the future: you've got MapSend Topo3D. MapSend Topo is an older program not compatible with the Explorist.

T3D came out before the Explorist. While they built the capability of compiling Explorist format into that version, it lacks USB awareness and so is unable to transmit the detail maps itself. There should be an applet called Conversion Manager on one of your CDs that can do the transmission, MapSend Manager is a free download that handles the task (among others), or you can just use Windows Explorer to copy the compiled detail map from hard drive to your 210 while it is hooked up in data transfer mode.

Conversion Manager does not do any conversion of the map files...it just copies them to the right place. It does do conversions between Exporist POI format and MapSend waypoint formats. MapSend Manager does the same. Of the choices described above, I'd recommend MapSend Manager as the preferred tool.

The newer v1.5 of T3D that comes on the DVD does include USB capability in the program itself.

embra,

Thank you so much for your insight. I'm a computer programmer by profession, working for a small Telephone company I have gotten use to the idea that the only programs documented any more are those that I write. Six of the 8 software programs we have bought for supporting our business are not documented by our vendors. That is one reason I didn't look into the detailed documentation. Even that is not a valid excuse, if I had only opened my eyes a little bit, I would have found the answers were right there in the documentation. But, your information told me, I needed to dig a little deeper to find the answers. There they were, spelled out for me in black and white. Once I read the directions in the PDF file, it worked slick, the first time. Thanks again!

I recently bought a 210 that came with MapSend Topo 3D. When I go to install it, it says I need a firmware update from the website. It links me to the support section of the website with no further details. I emailed Thales and have not received a response. Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, what was the outcome? Do I need a firmware update to upload Topo maps?