Magellan Mapsend Direct/topo

Jerryd

My Magellan Sportrak Pro has MapSend Direct Route installed and I purchased MapSend TOPO 3D. Does anyone know how to totally remove MapSend Direct from their GPS. My remaining memory is limited when I want to upload MapSend TOPO Region Maps because of the memory used by MapSend DirectRoute. I now use Garmin GPS 76CSx for routing and want to use my Sport Trak Pro for nothing but off road use. I'ved cleared all memory and even uploaded the current firmware again but the maps installed remain. Anyone have any suggestions? :laughing:

Here's the annswer from Magellan's website under Support/Obsolete Products: SporTrak Pro

Question:

My SporTrak Map/Pro unit will not allow me to load a new map, no matter how small. I had previously loaded a map successfully. What can I do?

Answer:

You can delete the old maps from your unit to facilitate loading of a new map. Simply press the “MENU” button and select “MAP UTILITIES”. Then select “DELETE FILE” and select each map (one at a time) and verify “YES” to clear the map from unit memory. Once the stored map(s) has been cleared, you can load your new map.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks for the information, but I already tried it. The Map Utilities doesn't allow deletion of the secondary detail map option because it is always in use. Changing the map using Map Uitilities to the default map doesn't work because an error is always received as invalid map. I email Magellan for support and waiting on a reply from them. I did load a region using MapSend TOPO 3D but was limited in memory because MapSource Direct Route was loaded with over 75% of the memory. Unfortunately Sport Trak Pro has a small internal memory with no SD expansion slot but I knew that when I bought it three years ago. I will keep it though and satisfied now with my Garmin GPS Map 76Csx and the Pro as backup.

Here's the annswer from Magellan's website under Support/Obsolete Products: SporTrak Pro

Question:

My SporTrak Map/Pro unit will not allow me to load a new map, no matter how small. I had previously loaded a map successfully. What can I do?

Answer:

You can delete the old maps from your unit to facilitate loading of a new map. Simply press the “MENU” button and select “MAP UTILITIES”. Then select “DELETE FILE” and select each map (one at a time) and verify “YES” to clear the map from unit memory. Once the stored map(s) has been cleared, you can load your new map.

I hope this helps you.

Darn, I was hoping that would help. I have an eXplorist and most features should work the same way.

Under Preferences, Active Setup you should have the Basemap set to default and the Detail Map turned off - I don't think you can remove the detail map if it's in use. Try again to delete the map in Map Utilities.

Can you connect your GPS to your computer via USB and delete the file that way?

If the above didn't work, I would suggest contacting Magellan by telephone for better/faster results.

I would think a clear memory/all would knock out anything you loaded to the unit. If that doesn't do it, then reinstalling the firmware would start you with a clean slate. Of course, you'll lose any waypoints or tracks on the unit doing this.

I would think a clear memory/all would knock out anything you loaded to the unit. If that doesn't do it, then reinstalling the firmware would start you with a clean slate. Of course, you'll lose any waypoints or tracks on the unit doing this.

Thanks for the feedback but as noted in my initial message, I cleared all memory and reinstalled the updated firmware again. Magellan has been contacted and I'm waiting on a reply still. :)

Darn, I was hoping that would help. I have an eXplorist and most features should work the same way.

Under Preferences, Active Setup you should have the Basemap set to default and the Detail Map turned off - I don't think you can remove the detail map if it's in use. Try again to delete the map in Map Utilities.

Can you connect your GPS to your computer via USB and delete the file that way?

If the above didn't work, I would suggest contacting Magellan by telephone for better/faster results.

Thanks for the reply but the Sport Trak Pro doesn't have USB capabilities and yes Magellan has been contacted.

One more suggestion, if you haven't already tried it.

As I recall, in my SporTrak Map, I could only have one detail map loaded at a time. But it sounds like you are saying that you can load a second detail map, but it has to be small because there is not much memory remaining. Have you tried loading a really, really small detail map, switch the GPS to use the small map, then maybe you will be able to delete the large Direct Route map since it is no longer in use.

It's worth a shot.

Thanks for the feedback but as noted in my initial message, I cleared all memory and reinstalled the updated firmware again. Magellan has been contacted and I'm waiting on a reply still. :)

Eh, I read that in your first post, thought I couldn't add anything, and then forgot about it.

Still, it's a little surprising to me that *all* memory isn't being cleared. If you just used the menu option to do that, you might want to try the hidden menu option for that or the secret key combination (both are described in the Meridian FAQ link in my sig). They may do different clearing that will be more complete.

Then again, they may do nothing new...but you'll be no worse off.