Track Log From Explorist Xl To Google Earth

ksat

Need some help for all you conversion experts out there...

I trying to get a saved track log from a hot air balloon flight into Google Earth. While I have successfully converted the basic .log file into a .kml file and can see the actual track, the track lacks the koolest part of the log - altitude.

I've check all my settings and can't seem to pinpoint where the issue is - whether it's with the kml file not having the right information or not being read correctly.

If someone could point me to the right place for additional information or lend a helping hand, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!

KSAT

UPDATE: It appears as though what I'm wanting to do CAN NOT be done with the FREE version of GoogleEarth - Spending $20 seems to be in order. If anyone else has tried this, please let me know what you have found. Thanks!

Edited by ksat

Actually, even the non-free Earth won't do what you want from the menus, but you can do it with the GPSBabel that, ironically, does come with Earth.

If Earth had a menu option that supported the file based Magellans, here's the command it would build:

gpbabel -t -i magellan -f /path/to/your/trackfile -o kml,floating -F blah.kml

Actually, even the non-free Earth won't do what you want from the menus, but you can do it with the GPSBabel that, ironically, does come with Earth.

If Earth had a menu option that supported the file based Magellans, here's the command it would build:

gpbabel -t -i magellan -f /path/to/your/trackfile -o kml,floating -F blah.kml

So, Earth currently utilizes GPSBabel to make some of it's conversions? Very nice... I suppose I'll have to perform this conversion myself then import the resulting .kml manually, correct?

I used GPSVisualizer for my initial conversion then imported the .kml into GoogleEarth and got the flat track - but, I could not modify this track for ABSOLUTE altitude setting - the option was simply not available.

In the command above, what is the trackfile format it is looking for? Is it .log? If it's anything else, I'm a bit lost as to how to save the track to the other formats... I've tried MapSend DirectRoute software and such..but, it can export to .xls which doesn't buy me much - that I can tell.

Thanks...

KSAT

So, Earth currently utilizes GPSBabel to make some of it's conversions? Very nice...
It's done so since well before Google bought Keyhole.
I suppose I'll have to perform this conversion myself then import the resulting .kml manually, correct?
yes.
I used GPSVisualizer for my initial conversion then imported the .kml into GoogleEarth and got the flat track - but, I could not modify this track for ABSOLUTE altitude setting - the option was simply not available.
That's probably a question for Adam - he definitely has code that interrogates GPSBabel ("He's everywhere, he's everywhere!") and presents the options in "advanced options" (you can see if if you "view source", in fact) but it doesn't seem to be effective right now.

In the command above, what is the trackfile format it is looking for? Is it .log?

The trackfile right as it appears on the GPS.

Robert - Thanks a lot for your help and information. I will give this a few tries (hopefully, only 1 will be needed!) and get back with you if I have further questions...

Agian - thanks for the help and direction!

KSAT

That's probably a question for Adam - he definitely has code that interrogates GPSBabel ("He's everywhere, he's everywhere!") and presents the options in "advanced options" (you can see if if you "view source", in fact) but it doesn't seem to be effective right now.

Bloody hell. It turns out I broke this a couple weeks ago ("advanced options" have been unavailable for ALL file formats), and NO ONE has told me about it!

It's been fixed.

By the way, in what format is that ".log" file? If it's NMEA (does every line begin with "$GP"?), then GPS Visualizer can handle it without resorting to GPSBabel: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=googleearth

By the way, in what format is that ".log" file? If it's NMEA (does every line begin with "$GP"?), then GPS Visualizer can handle it without resorting to GPSBabel:

Like all the various Magellan memory card formats, it's NMEA-ish, but it isn't NMEA - that's why it's a separate format in GPSBabel.

Thanx for the fix. That's how I remember it working.