Garmin V Waypoints

I have a Garmin V. I love it. I have become a premium member, and have set up pocket quarries. And I have been successful in downloading the list into my GPS. But my question is.... If every week I download the caches into my GPS, will it just add the new waypoints, and ignore the ones already in the GPS? Or maybe I just need to do an initial download of all the caches in my area, then request only the new caches be sent to me???!!!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Rae Ann (The Luck Dragons)

Downloading waypoints has no effect on existing waypoints with the GPS V or other Garmin units. This is different from a MapSource map set which will, in all cases, erase and replace any and all previously installed maps, except for the basemap, which cannot be erased or over written, even though it is not displayed if some other map of the same area is loaded and active. Waypoints can only be deleted by a deliberate set of actions on the GPSR itself.

I have a Garmin V. I love it. I have become a premium member, and have set up pocket quarries. And I have been successful in downloading the list into my GPS. But my question is.... If every week I download the caches into my GPS, will it just add the new waypoints, and ignore the ones already in the GPS? Or maybe I just need to do an initial download of all the caches in my area, then request only the new caches be sent to me???!!!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Rae Ann (The Luck Dragons)

I too use the GPS V. Everytime you upload waypoints to the GPS V, it DOES NOT erase/overwrite the existing waypoints; therefore, you can very easily end up with the SAME waypoints being entered multiple times. The best way to solve this is to upload all your initial waypoints to your GPS, use Mapsource City Select to save the entire mapset (I call mine Geocaching). Then, when you are ready to add NEW waypoints, on the GPS unit, press Find, Waypoint, By Name, press Enter, Quit, press Menu, choose to delete all Waypoints. This will erase all the waypoints in the unit quickly. Then add your NEW waypoints to your unit and then restore your other waypoints to the unit using the backup you made from Mapsource. When you send the data from Mapsource, you do NOT have to send everything--just the waypoints. Then make another backup. This is what I do. Takes me about 5 minutes or less to load/save/backup new points.

Hope this helps!

Orionshunter

Edited by orionshunter