New Gps + Loading Waypoints + Pda

I just upgraded my faithful little Explorist to an eTrex Legend which is going to change my geo-life, I'm sure. Someone has shown me a way to download the waypoints to the eTrex, but I think there is an easy, less cumbersome way to do it. I am sure at some point, when it didn't matter and I wasn't really paying attention, I once scanned a post that gave detailed instructions on downloading waypoints. Does anyone have those instructions or a link to them or remember where the post is? Also, is there a free download of mapping software or do I need to buy some and what is recommended. And finally, I'd also like to go paperless with a PDA---will I ever need to connect my eTrex to the PDA or will my computer always act as a liason? (Seriel port vs USB port). Sorry for so many questions, not terribly computer literate.

I think I need to get to pocket queries but I can't find where that is! Even "search" doesn't help---just brings up posts with those words. Where do I find "pocket queries"?

If you want to create a PQ, go to your "my account" page at http://www.geocaching.com/my/

On the right side of the screen under Premium Features, click on Build Pocket Queries.

Get GSAK. http://www.gsak.net/. It's free if you don't mind the nag screen but I think it's well worth the price. You can use that to do all kinds of thinks including loading waypoints to you Legend.

Edited by nittany dave

I concur, get GSAK. I use this to load waypoints on my Etrex Legend and it works great. Well worth the $20 so I paid.

I purchased an inexpensive palm. If you want to go cost effective(cheap) they can be had on ebay for $50 or less. For around $100(or less) you can get a new one, with warranty. I use Cachemate on mine, $8, it works great. I don't recommend an expensive unit, while they are cool, and have more features, do you want to risk an expensive unit in the field? Drop it in a creek or on a rock and it is done.

My palm came with a usb cable and syncs. easily with my laptop. The Legend came with a serial cable, no port on my laptop so I had to get an adapter, on line about $8. The two units are not on speaking terms so I have to use the computer for as you said "liaison".

Using the palm will pay for itself in a short time in savings on ink and paper.

Going paperless is also way more versitle, you can load 500 waypoints on the legend in less time than it takes to print one cache page. It's cool to be able to search for nearest waypoints any place in the area. And with the Palm you have all the cache info to go with those waypoints.

Here is a step-by-step:

Step One: Get the coordinates from the internet.

You can do this by looking on the cache page and printing it out, or writing it down, or simply setting there and punching them into your GPSr. If you load coordinates by hand, double check for typos, and you're done. Go to Step Four.

You can also do this electronically by downloading a .loc file from the internet to your computer. This file has the coordinates, but not much more. If you are a premium member ($3/month) then you can download a .gpx file, which has lots more info about the cache, and a pre-set geocaching icon. You can also download big batches of caches via "pocket queries."

Step Two: Use software to handle downloaded coordinates.

If you downloaded coordinates to your computer, you need some program that will open those files so that you can do something with them. EasyGPS is free and will work. GSAK is free to try and $20 to buy, and is a more powerful database manager that lets you slice and dice, filter and sort, caches. MapSource (for Garmin Map users) also handles .gpx files in versions higher than 6.5 (I believe).

Step Three: Load the cache info onto your GPSr.

Now that you have opened up your .loc or .gpx file with some software on the computer, you can use that software to upload the cache info to your GPSr. Depending on the software you chose, you can upload the coordinates, symbol, hints or other info (limited by the field sizes in the GPSr). If you get the coordinates and the name of the cache uploaded, that's all you need.

Step Four: Take the cache info with you.

Nothing is more frustrating (to me) than getting to the cache location and not being able to find the cache. If only I had brought the darn hint with me, or some of the prior finders' logs! Many cachers do this by printing the cache page from the internet (sometimes with the hint decoded and all logs listed). If you cache very much, trees will *scream* at the paper you use to do this. Others load as much info as they can onto the GPSr (very limited) or use a PDA to carry the info with them. PDAs are not needed to cache, but if you downloaded .gpx files from the GC site, and opened them with GSAK, you can use that software to load all of the cache info onto your PDA and save lots of trees. There are a number of good tutorials to teach you how to do this. Here's one for using GSAK and Cachemate on your PDA. Other people prefer CyBret's Spinner/Plucker approach.

Step Five: Go find the cache!!!

Get out there and find it. The GPSr will lead you to within 20 or 30 feet of the container. Then you have to stop looking at it and learn to think like a cache hider. Where would I hide that little guy if I were doing it?

You may also want to check out

Thot's Beginner's Guide

Markwell's Update to the FAQ and

CyBret's Geocacher University.

Lot's of great advice there ,

Edited by Sputnik 57

Thanks so much for all the advice, and particular thanks to Sputnik for the tutorial. I can't wait to try out those instructions. I am excited with my eTrex and the ability to download waypoints. I don't know how many times I have been out and about and KNOW I am in the area a cache but didn't have a cache sheet with me. With my new GPS and the soon-to-be aquired PDA, I'll be unstoppable! (Although husband and son will wonder why a "quick run" to the grocery is now taking me three hours! LOL)